jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is the LONGEST PERIOD that a recent college graduate should have between h

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What is the LONGEST  PERIOD that a recent college graduate should have between his/her graduation

& becoming employed?   Is it permissible that a recent college graduate should a duration of 3-4 years between the period of graduation & subsequently becoming employed?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12712031_f260.jpg

2. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

It's extremely difficult to get "back into the swing of things" after a year or more. I definitely suggest taking a vacation or break after graduation to de-stress, but I recommend getting into the workforce within a year. After a year you begin to forget a lot of the finer details of what you've learned. Not being surrounded by the professional atmosphere of a university/college allows your mind to wander. Getting to work will surround you with the topic again and will help keep those details at the forefront of your mind.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12852529_f260.jpg

For most people the goal is to jump into the workforce immediately after graduation. In fact the smarter students usually have been performing internship work during the summers for companies they plan to join upon graduating.
    Seeds for employment are planted (prior) to graduating.
    These days most students have government student loans to pay back and simply cannot take off 3-4 years.
    Most people go to school in order to {get a job} not just to get a liberal arts education and bragging rights stating they have "a degree".
    Very few parents I know of would support an adult child who was a total "slacker" and simply kicking back at their home as if they were high school age. At the very least they should be in the garage creating the next Apple Computers or Microsoft Software.
    There are 3 reasons why a potential employer might not hold it against a college grad who did not seek employment immediately.
    1. Military service
    2. Volunteer work such as "The Peace Corps"
    3. Started their own business
    Otherwise anyone who "kicks back" for 3-4 years is most likely to be viewed as suspect when it comes to having drive and ambition to succeed. If someone doesn't "need a job" they're not likely to get too invested in performing to the best of their ability.
    Personally speaking I believe a new college grad should have a job lined up immediately after graduation or within six-eight months.
    Avoiding adulthood and it's responsibilities is a sign of immaturity.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

My late mother SAID THE SAME THING.  The blessed one indicated that if a graduate doesn't have a job by 25, h/she is suspect........

working