jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Are Self-Help books helpful or harmful?

1. savvydating profile image96
    savvydatingposted 2 years ago

Are Self-Help books helpful or harmful?

Many psychiatrists believe that most self-help books make "overblown claims" that can lead individuals to blame themselves when the methods don't work, thus causing them to feel worse. Also, most professionals with a strong scientific background state that self-help books have little if any scientific efficacy. What is your take on "self-help" especially of the New Age variety?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12903612_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Self help books with constructive advice you can follow on your own, such as Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University program to get out of debt, are good.
    Self help books telling you to follow dangerous diets, join the cult-like program of the author or do what feels good to the exclusion of your responsibilities and common sense are bad.

savvydatingposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A well-rounded answer, Tamara. I very much appreciate your specificity.

3. aidenw profile image66
    aidenwposted 2 years ago

From personal experience I can say that they have helped me. I am a better person today than a few years ago with the help of certain books that I have read. I prefer to use the term "personal development" rather than "self help" (although for the most part they are probably the same), because they help you develop into a better person.

But I can see your point about the harmful potential of some of the new-age oriented books as they focus on affirmations, visualizations, and positive energy. There's nothing wrong with those. In fact, they are helpful tools. But a responsible book/author should also emphasize the importance of taking action for individuals who want to achieve certain goals.

It is easier and more pleasant to visualize and meditate, etc. than to take action but if that's all you so, you won't get very far. So the key is to make whatever action you take an inspired action.

Hello  Aiden. (What a great name.) I appreciate your looking beyond the reservations I listed in order to share your personsal experience. Your comment is that of a person who is thoughtful and who also takes responsibility for his personal growth!

2. aidenw profile image66
      aidenwposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your kind comment.

3. savvydating profile image96

My pleasure. wink

working