jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Are you bilingual?

1. rolaabboud profile image80
    rolaabboudposted 21 months ago

Are you bilingual?

If you are bilingual, then what languages do you speak? And do you think that being bilingual is a good thing or it makes the conversation seems bad because sometimes you can not control yourself switching between the two languages?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13037630_f260.jpg

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 21 months ago

I speak English and French.  I definitely think it's a positive and I'll be putting my daughter in French immersion school if at all possible. 

I don't have issues slipping between languages but I did have a really hard time trying to pick up Spanish in school.  I ended up writing one of my final exams in university in half Spanish and half French and ended up barely passing.  So had I stuck with the Spanish I could see it being an issue confusing Spanish and French regularly.

1. IslandBites profile image88
      IslandBitesposted 21 months agoin reply to this

In my case, Spanish and French not so much. But Spanish and Italian (and/or Portuguese)! All three are similar.

2. rolaabboud profile image80
      rolaabboudposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I did the same thing when I was at school, I hated French and in the exam I used to write many words in English, and same as you, I barely pass it.

3. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 21 months ago

I speak Mandarin and English. I learned Mandarin growing up in Taiwan. It is definitely easier to learn a language when you are young. The brain has not been developed enough to harden the language neurons. Scientists have discovered knowing a second language will help with memory in your old age. The more neuron paths that are associated with an event, the better you will be able to recall them. Learning a second language may defer dementia in your old age. It is also a benefit when you travel oversea...

Yes, being a bilingual or trilingual in early age is better, in the last two years at school  when I started to learn French for the first time in my whole life it was very difficult to understand. And I hated it.

4. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 21 months ago

I speak Spanish, English and Italian (a little French and Portuguese too).
    It's definitively a good thing.

Spanish, English and Italian? This makes you (Trilingual) big_smile

5. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 21 months ago

I speak three languages: English, profanity, and sarcasm.

But seriously... I've retained a little bit of the German from my high school classes many years ago, but if you dropped me in Germany right now I doubt it would be enough for me to get by.

Lol, this is a good one. I never imagined that I would learn German, such a complex language.. the one word looks like a sentence... What I only know in German is (ich liebe dich) big_smile

6. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 21 months ago

I'm not bilingual, but wish I was. 'Hello.' I understood that. I can read fairly well in Spanish as I did this at school. I can also say a few words, but I cannot hold a decent conversation.

Yes, it can be a problem switching languages, socially yet alone at work in a hospital where it also happens. I knew a Nurse Manager who was reluctant to employ people from certain countries as she said that they were 'clicky' and spoke often in their language.

I do not know the answer, but it can be upsetting when one needs to know about a patient, and the conversation switches from English to something else. Not good for the patient either, who is unable to follow the conversation.

Yes it could be awful as the case you mentioned. Once I was at the hospital and there was two Indian nurses as they started to talk in Hindi, Udru or whatever and I asked them to speak in English so I could understand and they laughed and switched it

7. profile image0
    Rahul008rajposted 19 months ago

I speak Bhojpuri, Hindi, and English. Plus I am also learning Korean. I learned Hindi and Bhojpuri while growing up. I learned English in my school by reading novels and watching movies. Korean is also an interesting language, it makes you learn Hanja (Chinese Characters) to help memorizing the vocabularies.

working