Are you bilingual? What language?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (63 posts)
  1. profile image0
    TrinityCatposted 12 years ago

I'm curious to find out how many people here dominate another language other than English. What drove you to learn it? big_smile

1. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I fluently speak four other languages. In Europe, children are obliged to pick at least one foreign language as an obligatory school subject (starting with primary school).

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
        Melissa A Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Took french for 7 years in school and still speak nothing of it.

2. dinkan53 profile image71
      dinkan53posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I speak English, Hindi, Russian and Ukrainian Language, as I completed my studies in Ukraine.

3. Bmm209 profile image60
      Bmm209posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm learning japanese. does that count? smile

1. profile image0
        TrinityCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Close, but no. tongue But you are on your way to be fully bilingual with the language! wink

2. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

Indonesian. Lived there for many years, so had to learn in order to carry out daily living.

1. profile image0
      HubTubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, wish I was.  Spanish would be my choice for a second language, however.

1. profile image0

Then what are you waiting for?! tongue

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

English and Klingon,

Ok now its out that Im actually a nerd smile

1. profile image0

It's ok, you are not alone. Nerds are awesome. big_smile

2. MummyDearest profile image46
      MummyDearestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are not Dr Sheldon Cooper are you??? haha

1. profile image0

Lol

4. INFJay profile image79
    INFJayposted 12 years ago

English is my native tongue, while Spanish is my second language I grew up with as a child. French is my third language that I learned and have been speaking for 20 years while interacting with the Francophone community in the San Francisco Bay Area. Visiting Spanish and French speaking countries has enriched my life so much. Learning a second or third language is well worth the hard work!

1. profile image0

Agreed. It's incredible when you can speak someone else's native language, socialize and not depend too much on their dictionary. tongue

5. j024z profile image69
    j024zposted 12 years ago

I used to speak French pretty fluently, but since 2004 I've been learning Chinese.  So I suppose I can speak 3 languages.  English (duh), French (when I'm drunk), and Mandarin Chinese (though I speak it with a Northeastern Chinese accent).

1. profile image0

That's amazing!

6. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 12 years ago

My husband is from Tonga, and we lived there for several years, so I can speak basic Tongan. It is similar to Samoan and Hawaiian. Some words are actually the same. We now live in Hawaii, and I have picked up quite a bit of Hawaiian also.

1. profile image0

Wicked. big_smile

7. Silwen profile image76
    Silwenposted 12 years ago

My mother tongue is Lithuanian. I speak English and Russian quite well.

1. profile image0

I actually had to read what was Lithuanian before replying back to you. ^_^' It's very interesting. big_smile

8. Cardozo7 profile image60
    Cardozo7posted 12 years ago

I'm from Portugal, so Portuguese is my native language. Also speak english and french.

1. profile image0

Three languages, that's a milestone. Amazing.

1. profile image0
        HubTubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what I'm waiting for. I've got a Learn-How-To-Speak-Spanish CD set...lol.  Guess i should get cracking.

9. Sonia Perozzi profile image69
    Sonia Perozziposted 12 years ago

I am fluent in Italian. The driving reason behind learning it is that I am of Italian heritage. My father immigrated to the states, I wanted to learn more about my roots, and where he came from. I also have aunts, uncles and cousins in Italy that I wanted to be able to talk to and have a relationship with. I love it, now we visit each other when we can. Sometimes I go to Italy other times they come here. I would actually like to become fluent in Spanish and French as well. My Spanish is so-so at this point.

1. profile image0

That's great. Italian is the language I'm trying to learn while I'm on my free time. Phonetics between Italian and Spanish are quite similar, making it a little awesome. big_smile

1. Sonia Perozzi profile image69
        Sonia Perozziposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am happy to hear you are learning Italian:) If you ever have any questions or just someone to bounce off of someone I would be more than happy to help! Yes there is similarities between Italian and Spanish sometimes I end up using an Italian word when trying to speak Spanish lol! Buona Fortuna!!

1. Sonia Perozzi profile image69
          Sonia Perozziposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oops *If you ever need someone to just bounce off of* sorry for the horrible typo!!

10. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

Hebrew, Greek , and a tiny amount of Spanish

Around my husband and son, I speak half English and half Hebrew. I started that when my son was born so he'd know both languages and I never got out of the habit.

1. tosocialsuccess profile image60
      tosocialsuccessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I heard you're not supposed to teach a child more than one languages at a time because they'll just get confused. Is it true?

11. RNMSN profile image59
    RNMSNposted 12 years ago

Yo no se asi yo hablo bueno in espanol pero asi un enfermira es importante a dice espanol un pocito. Comprendo?

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I speak only a little Spanish too

I'm fluent in Greek and Hebrew

Greek
      Kaló apóyevma, Hárika ya tin gnorimía.

Parakaló miláte pyo argá

Hebrew

Erev tov!   Ma shelomkha

12. dmop profile image79
    dmopposted 12 years ago

I am not, but have been working on learning some Japanese. I have found it to be challenging yet stimulating, such a beautiful language.

1. profile image0

It is a beautiful yet complex language. That's what makes it interesting. wink

13. MummyDearest profile image46
    MummyDearestposted 12 years ago

English and Malaysian/Indonesian - taught in school
    Cantonese - Hong Kong TV series aired on TV
    Mandarin & Hokkien - Favorite Food Vendors (have to learn to speak their language if I want to get little 'extras'..haha)
    Hainanese - Mum and Maternal Grandma who looked after me growing up..(It's funny though, I can understand them in Hainanese but usually reply in Cantonese!)
    Teochew - From Dad (But only when I am encountered with bad motorist while driving) $%^&*$"!!!

14. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 12 years ago

I am pretty fluent in Brazilian Portuguese although I wish I learned French. Yes, it is nice to know another language. It is a benefit.

15. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

A bit of French, Thai, Spanish, English...

And my primary language - Fluent Sarcasm! smile

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is an honest answer smile

I speak at least seven Indian languages fluently, while French was a language that I studied at school but I have  forgotten much of it due to lack of use... hmm

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ahh.. perhaps not having French at the moment is good for you Sofs...

I'm sure it would get lost in those Double 00s big_smile big_smile

2. profile image0

Cool smile

16. stanzi11 profile image71
    stanzi11posted 12 years ago

I speak fluent Slovak, English, Czech and Hungarian.

1. profile image0

Interesting languages, especially Hungarian. I need to research more about it... smile

1. stanzi11 profile image71
        stanzi11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I can write a hub about the Hungarian language?smile

1. profile image0

That would be good. If you do so, let me know! smile

1. stanzi11 profile image71
            stanzi11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I will smile

17. Aya Katz profile image82
    Aya Katzposted 12 years ago

Hebrew is my native language, but I speak English like a native speaker, since I learned it in first grade. I wrote about my language leanring experiences in a children's book called Ping & the Snirkelly People.

1. profile image0

That's sweet! big_smile

1. Aya Katz profile image82
        Aya Katzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, TrinityCat.

18. kayha profile image63
    kayhaposted 12 years ago

Dutch, English and Urdu makes me trilingual. big_smile

1. profile image0

LOL!

19. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

Taishanese, hoisan, Cantonese, French and English.  smile 

A bit of Spanish (though I've lost most of it due to lack of use) and am learning Mandarin.  smile

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow... online dating does work in some respects then big_smile

Last year I had to learn Bonito Banana.. now that's a tough language Beth! smile

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol

you kill me PD!!  lol 

smile

20. anonimuzz profile image60
    anonimuzzposted 12 years ago

Portuguese is my native language, English is my second language, I'm moderate in French and at a basic level in Spanish.

21. StellaSee profile image75
    StellaSeeposted 12 years ago

I speak English and Japanese and high school Spanish ;D

1. profile image0

Awesome big_smile

2. understandyurself profile image60
      understandyurselfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

GREAT... yikes

22. understandyurself profile image60
    understandyurselfposted 12 years ago

I said I'm posting this with google translation, because it has been 6 years learning English and can speak up a little now but it's hard to grammatical deviations ...

23. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

TrinityCat, When I first responded to your question, I only said another language I can speak is Indonesian. I did not mention a third, since no one will have heard of it, but I see now some are mentioning some I've not heard so will tell you I speak a minority language in Indonesia, Galela. I speak it even better than Indonesian. I learned it so that I could translate the New Testament into it. Knowing it sometimes catches me up on my English, because it uses quite a different word order. The verbal clause comes last in the sentence, even before and object or direct object clause.

24. CHRIS57 profile image60
    CHRIS57posted 12 years ago

I am German by birth, was raised in the US, so i pass as native speaker in both languages. Then there is Russian, the language of my wife, which i speak with sort of a baltic accent, at least that is what people tell me in Russia. And i don´t get lost in France, having learned French in school. With my grandmother i always spoke "Plattdüütsch" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German

25. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

I'm multilingual, sort of. English, of course, but also Visual Basic (dialects 3, 6, .Net 2003, 2005), C and the C++ dialect, Pascal, BAL, COBOL, a smattering of Fortran, some Java, HTML, PHP, plus good old fashioned Assembly Language.

With humans, I speak some Spanish. I took 3 years of it in high school, but the first two teachers were awful -- atrocious! Some people should not be teachers unless they can learn to teach. Parroting rote material is not teaching. My third high school Spanish teacher was breathtakingly wonderful. Too bad we only had her for half a year; I might actually have been fluent in the language all this time.

I also know a smattering of Basque, plus a few simple words in a wide variety of languages (some of them long dead). I currently live in the Philippines and I'm learning the language of the Central Visayas, Cebuano.

I would dearly love to learn more languages and fluently, but I would also like to get my PhD in astronomy, geology, mathematics, chemistry, computer science, literature and philosophy. Still working on it.

26. free-seotools profile image41
    free-seotoolsposted 12 years ago

I am learning to speak Portuguese but it will probably take me until the end of time to understand all the nuances of this language. At least I can talk to my elderly neighbours.

27. mbyL profile image67
    mbyLposted 12 years ago

I speak German and Serbian perfectly fluently and Swiss German too if that counts. And yes English too as I am learning it since 2007 and French of course and also I learn Russian and can speak it more or less fluently wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)