jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What do you think about banning mobile phones from some places like schools?

1. Alessio Ganci profile image65
    Alessio Ganciposted 22 months ago

What do you think about banning mobile phones from some places like schools?

In schools and other places mobile phones are banned. Let's take schools as an example: in a "high tech" society, should we really ban mobile phones (considering them as an "element of distraction") or should we educate children to use it, making them understand potentials of mobile phones? Mobile phones can be used for educational activities, and they may help a student. So if we should ban them, why not ban also paper because "students may play tic tac toe or sudokus"? Every tool can be used in a good or a bad way. Does banning is really right?
    What do you think about?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12613178_f260.jpg

2. Johnny James A profile image75
    Johnny James Aposted 22 months ago

I think schools and teachers should have a say on what is or is not permitted in the classroom.  However, that is easier said than done. Where I currently live they initially tried banning cell phones during school time, which resulted in an uproar from parents who said "what if my child needs to contact me or if I need to contact my child in an emergency?'  The response during the school board meeting from the principal was funny. He said, "We have this thing called a landline. Heck, this landline phone. which some off you may have never seen, has been in schools way back when I was a kid.  Parents used to call into the office, and then the secretary would take a message or call the kid into the office.  If the kid needed to make an emergency call they could come into the office."  He was shot down as being rude, however, as he pointed out if you have an emergency at home you should call 911 and the police or ambulance will help coordinate calls to family members.

The so called compromise was that teachers could make the determination for their class.  This was a bad idea, as students know if you do not have a unified front on a policy the kids will disregard it.  Students complained it was not fair that they could have their phone in their pocket during math, but not history, etc.  So they ignored the teacher's wishes.

Conclusion:  Banning Phones in schools, or the use of phones in theaters, libraries, etc should be up to the schools, libraries, theaters, etc but the ban should be "near" absolute (with maybe rational exceptions) or none at all. Doing a half-behinded ban or not strong enough ban is as good as having no rule at all.

Alessio Ganciposted 22 months agoin reply to this

This is surely true, the first step to accept a rule is making sure it is right. If kids start to believe the rule is not always applied, or some teachers start to use mobile phone (even if the ban applies also to them), that would be a problem!

3. profile image0
    Siddharth Kapoorposted 22 months ago

Not a bad idea, considering their health issues. Cellular devices have certain rays that can leave some negative effects in the children's brain. At least not in the school. It's okay for them to use when they reach at the age of 18 or older as their immunity levels become strong enough to fight against the diseases.

Alessio Ganciposted 22 months agoin reply to this

That's also true, even if I think unfortunately children are exposed to these health issues the same (WiFi at home, radio towers in the city, the same technologies in schools). It's sad to say, but maybe children can't escape this completely!

2. profile image0
      Siddharth Kapoorposted 22 months agoin reply to this

True my friend. There is always the adverse and beneficial side of the latest advancement in tech.

working