jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Any one with experience in taking care of people with irritable Bowel Syndrome?

1. thumbi7 profile image65
    thumbi7posted 16 months ago

Any one with experience in taking care of people with irritable Bowel Syndrome?

My mother is having extremely irritable bowel. She is 72. Not tolerating even bland food items. She is a vegetarian. I am at a loss as to how to help her. She feels easily tired.

Any help is appreciated.

2. DaveOnline profile image84
    DaveOnlineposted 16 months ago

Have you tried giving her probiotics? they helped me when I had it or some similar condition.

thumbi7posted 16 months agoin reply to this

Thank you. I will try that

3. Rachel L Alba profile image95
    Rachel L Albaposted 16 months ago

I have had IBS most of my life.  It's a terrible thing to experience.  I don't have it so much since I went through menopause.  I wish I could remember what the name of it is, but I see now there is a prescription for it.  There wasn't it when I went through it.  I do remember a heating pad on my stomach to relax the muscle contractions did help some.  I see the ads on TV.  Maybe you can try that if you see it.  Do try the heating pad though,  it did help me.

Thank you

4. Dr Pran Rangan profile image87
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 16 months ago

It is, in fact, not clear what causes IBS in the first place. It has many triggers that vary from person to person. First of all, one has to find out what triggers the symptoms of IBS, for which one can take the help of an expert in GI diseases. Once a person had been able to find out the triggers, one can take effective measures to avoid them.

One can initiate dietary changes by eliminating high gas foods, gluten or certain carbohydrates like fructose, lactose, and others. 

There are some specific medications used for IBS that can be used depending on the specificity of the case. There are also some other medications that are given symptomatically to help relieve discomfort caused the syndrome.

My advice is to consult a gastroenterologist and work closely and patiently with him or her to manage the disease.

As a matter of fact, the management of IBS is quite tricky.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to give some advise.

Thank you Sir. I will  take appointment from a gastroenterologist

working