What are the psychological causes of....ENVY in humans? What are the psychosoc

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 months ago

What are the psychological causes of....ENVY in humans?   What are the psychosocial roots of envy?

2. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 9 months ago

Envy is a real, albeit, ugly and dangerous emotion, IMO. I think envy gets aroused within in us when we perceive someone or something has what we desire or admire and feel less than, from not having it. I have come across the idea, that envy may have began in childhood when the child felt ignored by his/her Mother.

Envy, like jealousy, is primal and can lead to rages and murders. Envy is a sign of personal insecurity which is not the fault of the "other". These envious feelings needs to be handled by the owner,  through a conscious effort in maturing emotionally. And that takes time together with allowing yourself to sometimes fail and regress, yet, other times do well and feel generous for others.

I think the way to overcoming or minimising those envious feelings that surge fiercely within oneself, is to STOP COMPARING yourself to the other. Get going on focusing yourself becoming a person you are proud to be. The self that perhaps puts their best foot foward more often than not.

If you feel the need to compete? Compete with yourself and forget about the others. To do that? You may find you will have to separate yourself form those that you envy, while you deal with handling your envious feelings of hostility and/or rage.

Envy and jealousy are very basic emotions that need maturing.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 months agoin reply to this

GREAT answer by the way, thanks.