jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What life skills are rarely taught and are highly useful?

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 7 months ago

What life skills are rarely taught and are highly useful?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13692438_f260.jpg

2. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 7 months ago

Somewhere some how someone decided that we do not need to study and learn about loving. And the same folks decided against meditation. And it seems as though the same folks cut the arts out.

It looks like to me that folks do not want schools teaching the above and morality. I do not suggest that they can. But they can lead a child to ask the questions.
    So the life skills of independent thought and a quest for learning are what need to be taught.
    All my children get it. But what of the masses without formal and self educated  parents?
    This desire to learn more is critical to our advancement as a society. Yet it is left to chance. A fantastic teacher or preacher might just inspire but again what if they miss the mark?
    So the life skill of inquiry is the most important of all.

threekeysposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Here, in our country, they don't like or value independent thinkers. I agree with you eric, to be able to ask questions that lead to greater reflection and breadth of thinking, can only be a true positive for Self and others.

3. shon1121 profile image80
    shon1121posted 7 months ago

Fantastic question. Kindness, patience and manners appear to be lacking in most people.  Certainly think those things could be improved.  Usually learnt from superiors be it parents, other family, teachers etc- not everyone has that luxury though.

Face to face communication skills.  This is also limited due to technology and modernisation eg changes to workplace.  So called soft skills, is unreal how easy some take them for granted.

All kinds of info out there, anyone can learn to cook.  Not everyone gets taught it and can fall into bad habits.  Extremes of severe obesity in some parts of the world, starvation in others.  Even if a person is obese they can be made to feel worse due to vitamin deficiency.  Being able to look after self by knowing how to cook is important.

Self defence is another.  As a female feel quite vulnerable, particularly being so multi-cultural, you do get people who are just bad but some cultures are in dareceipt ages in terms of how they view females.

Generous of heart and thought, together with the civil glue of friendliness (manners) goes a long way to setting the stage for building a warm connection/friendship/relationship.

2. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Very good. I just take manners and social graces as a given. Almost like you are born with them. Thanks for the answer and comment. I will pay more attention.

4. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 7 months ago

Social skills appear to be lacking - with the internet age, our kids "play" years get fewer and fewer as the draw of the flashing screen takes them over.  Organized sports, scouting, etc. all were there to,teach young kids how to be good losers, how to learn from their mistakes, and how to,interact with other in an acceptable mannner.  Now kids are awkward and have trouble leaving home because they lack those skills

Yes I feel we are losing our social skills too. They are what gives us our humanity.

working