What Matters... Degree or Certification ???

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Some people say degree matters, Some say certification matters more...
    What actually matters more...?
    If I have Masters degree, is it necessary to get certification for good job?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends on the field. In the field I'm entering I'll have to have both a Master's degree as well as a license, then individual certs for various activities...What field are you interested in?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not 100% sure what you need by certification, but generally to get certified in a profession you need a relevant degree.

3. profile image49
      nancywaldenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it depends on your profession. Certifications are mandatory for certain professions, while for others they are a way to complement your education. A case in point is a computer degree. While certifications can by no means equal the extent of knowledge imparted by computer degrees, they do enhance your know how about certain technologies and improve your job prospects.

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I don't have any Formal Education... I lived on a small island and had to learn by radio and life observation.

A piece of paper doesn't sum up a person... it is their ability to embrace what they do and to improve on that.

In my life, I have (As the Boss) fired many people who have hidden behind a piece of paper and felt that they were superior to others who were far more superior when it came to life skills. Most simply didn't or couldn't perform.

To me... Nothing beats practical experience... if you can support your qualifications with Real life skills then you should do well.  Always reinvent yourself and your skills as you can achieve anything if you back yourself.

Bon Chance mon ami.

1. johnsams profile image67
      johnsamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with Pearldiver.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

I think OP is asking about getting a job that requires  qualifications, not being a good person.

3. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, it would be nice if the world thought this way but it doesn't.  An education is more valued than natural talent.

3. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

Practical experience trumps all else. Otherwise, certifications are useful. You're not bogged down by learning a skill set that has very little to do with the knowledge you're trying to acquire.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Unless you want to be, for an example, work a veterinarian, doctor, lawyer or psychologist--where practicing without certification is illegal.

4. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I have no degree, but I am a certfiable loony! does that count!

Actually doing the job and knowing what you are on about is king! who needs degrees, especially when they don't guarantee you a job!

While I agree that life experience and personal work ethic are extremely important, and that in some cases having a degree means very little, it is still the case that certain fields require, by law, the earning of a degree and certain certs.

1. easybusinesslinks profile image61
        easybusinesslinksposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Obviously certain health and safety requirements must be adhered to when it is required by law, but I'd much rather do my own thing and find my own path, because I did the university route over 10 years ago and it didn't do me one bit of good at all, even when I attained my degrees in illustration and that ended up being nearly six years in total all seemingly wasted.

But yes you are right about the law of certain jobs, I was meaning more general jobs that aren't required by law, degrees are useless in most cases, as some employers do say, you are over qualified, whatever that means!?.

Oops I've posted in my other account...cheeky!

5. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

I never pursued my education for the sole purpose of getting a job, so I suppose that's where we differ.

To me the purpose of education and a degree is personal edification. I can create my own job if I want, and I have (at the moment, I'm a freelance writer/editor - I intend to merge the counseling and writing). Learning is never useless.

Best of luck to you and your career and life path! Shaantih.

Learning isn't useless, but I prefer to learn stuff on my own, without the need to have a degree that won't back me up in the future.

You said: "I did the university route over 10 years ago and it didn't do me one bit of good at all, even when I attained my degrees in illustration and that ended up being nearly six years in total all seemingly wasted." Forgive me if that seemed to imply that you felt that the time was useless.

I've never come across this problem of the degrees I have not backing me up. I'm sorry that's been your experience.

I can think of all kinds of things you could do with a degree in illustration - including working ON YOUR OWN from home.

If that's not working for you, then as I asked before: What are you interested in doing?

It will be working for me quite soon, once I build up something worthwhile online, at least that's the plan! been stung by scams like anyone that promised earning and things like that.

Of course I learned tons of stuff to do with illustration, but what would have been better if a business course came with it, but that would have meant another 2 years and I couldn't afford to spend time on it after spending 6 years learning.

I do not mean to offend anyone who is currently doing a degree to better their life, it's their choice after all, it just didn't work out for me like I expected, I suppose I had unrealistic expectations from it and I still can't let it go, the 6 years was split between learning some fantastic illustration techniques, but no proper guidance on using the knowledge that you attain when you leave university.

I know my future lies online with art/drawing and affiliate marketing, so who knows what will happen?!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)