Gravity of black hole.

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (120 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Having a wondering about it moment.

I don't have  an answer.

That black hole at the center of our universe may not exert its pull upon the earth as much as it does on our sun.
       Our sun revolves around it.  So it does pull upon the sun.

Would the center of the back side of the sun, not facing the black hole not be effected as much by this gravitational force than the center of the side facing the black hole.

If there are solar storms,  would those solar flares be less effected from that gravitational force from that black hole.

Would they not be much more damaging rays coming from that side of the sun that is hidden from the direction of that black hole?  Maybe like a riffle barrel pointing out in space?.

Stupid question,  I was just wondering..

1. jdaviswrites profile image71
      jdaviswritesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't have an answer either. I think the gravitational pull is so strong that it basically separates everything down into atoms before it puts it back together and spits it out the other side. How high are you?

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no black hole at the center of the universe because there is no such thing as the center of the universe. Are you perhaps referring to the center of our galaxy?

If so, the gravitational force of that black hole is too far away, hence too weak to affect our planets and our solar system.

Yes, since gravity gets weaker proportionally to distance.

Again, the black hole at the center of our galaxy is too far away to have any real measurable effects in contrast to the gravitational pull of the planets and our sun.

Pretty much all of space everywhere contains damaging electromagnetic rays considering there are billions of stars emitting them. Hope this helps. smile

Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I was intending to say ..the center of our solar system.

If it is at the center of our solar system, I would think that everything in our system is revolving around it ??
           Which would mean that it does have gravitational pull upon everything that revolves around it??  would it not?

Just seems that that gravitational pull would have  less affect on the back side of the sun.
            Where we are going to be perfectly lined up with in 12:21:2012.  Just wondering if we might be exposed with a little bit more of "something"  coming off that side of the sun??

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it isn't the center of our solar system either.

The center of our solar system is the Sun :-)

@Pcunix      OK  haven't had morning coffee yet  ??!.?/>/?/

What does the sun revolve around????

Csanad  thanks  I'll check it out later today.

Yeah, I kind of figured you needed a bit more caffeine :-)

I need a bunch of something that I haven't been getting.

The center of our galaxy. But, it is not the same kind of revolving that our planets have around our sun.

Within the solar system, planets closer to the sun revolve faster while planets further from the sun revolve slower.

That does not occur with all the stars and solar systems that revolve around the center of our galaxy, they all appear to be moving at the same rate. This has given rise to the theory of dark matter to help explain this phenomenon.

There most certainly is a gravitational effect but the matter that is causing this effect does not emit or reflect electromagnetic radiation, so at present cannot be seen with light sensitive receptors.

Yet the stars and our sun does revolve aroung the center of our milky way??  Does it not ???

Doesn't matter if we call it gravity or rubber bands, there is some kind of force keeping "STUFF" in our little part of the universe operating like clock work. 

So are you saying that some unknown force is doing this in some unknown manner?

Thanks

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Yes the Milky Way galaxy.

They aren't rubber bands. 

No, the force is known, it is gravity. What is unknown at this time is what kind of matter is producing the gravity.

That was a nice little circle that our conversation just completed. 

SO ?   There is a gravity force of unknown origin coming from the center of the milky way ? That has a pulling force upon all mater within its reach ?  And we do not know how far that reach ,, reaches? 
                       Nor do we know all of what is affected by it?

Correct me if I am wrong.  This is how I understood what you said.

The center of our solar system is our sun. There is no black hole there.

The sun, yes it does have a gravitational field that affects our planets.

2. Csanad profile image71
        Csanadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know too much about astrology, but since our solar system is pretty much at the edge of the galaxy, I would think that there are a lot of space objects between the black hole and our sun.
        I found a really useful forum discussion here:
        http://2012-comet.com/phpbb/2012/superm … t1243.html

Astronomy, not astrology!

Sheesh!   Don't they teach ANY science any more?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
            Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends on who THEY are!  Just think of the black hole at the center of our galaxy as a toilet drain!  As us as.......!

Yea   I can see that.

2. Csanad profile image71
            Csanadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oops! Sorry! I meant astronomy! I told you I don't know much about the subject, ha ha! I wasn't taught astronomy, neither astrology, in school; English is only my second language.

3. skyfire profile image81
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not stupid. Weird assumption.

There is no center of the universe because to assume there is, we have to at-least see the entire universe which is not at all possible. You can only find out center of solar system.

Or, if it is infinite, any old point is as good a candidate as any other.

4. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
        Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The "Human Mind" ... Meaning, The Lord's Granted Human Awareness of Creation, in Being ... Is The Truth ... what helps us behold the Physical cum Ideal Reality, of our Universe ...

The Universe is a Paired Structure ... a Physical and Ideal Composed Singularity ... This is The Truth of Existential Reality.

There are no Black Holes, at the Center of the Universe ...
        It is Ignorance ... of the Unbelieving Mind, that creates the Illusion of Utter Darkness ... as Black Holes, at the center of a purely Physical Universe ... 

Illuminating the Core of the Existent,  is Islamic Faith's Brilliance.

1. skyfire profile image81

Islamic briliance ? LMAO

5. profile image51
        srfppc2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

IEEE Singapore GOLD Affinity Group was approved in September 2003. IEEE Singapore Gold Affinity Groups Gives An Opportunity To Graduates To Join And Enjoy Many Benefits. Register Today.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

this reminds me of a song... remember Black Hole Sun? smile

you can watch shows about it on the History channel, etc., Nova.  I was watching something the other night about the edge of the universe. it was rather amazing.

I watch many of those when I catch them on.

I have been wondering about the above question for some time.

The other day I saw that the US sent a probe out there that will intersect the suns path to study the other side of the sun.

Made me wonder ???

4. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

As well, Jerami, please remember that there are billions of stars in our galaxy, many of them reside near the center with their gravitational fields adding to the mix. And, when you have multiple objects and are trying to calculate the effects of their gravitational fields on everything else, it gets extremely complicated. smile

5. thirdmillenium profile image61
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

The last time I saw a black hole was when my granny opened her mouth.
      Gravity/pull
      No, nothing of the kind happened

6. Jerami profile image58

I don't care to attempt to name it or explain how it does it;  Something close to the center of the milkey way does have enough gravitational pull on our sun and solar system to keep it in orbit around whatever it is ,  If it didn't it wouldn't.

Insisting on it doesn't make it true. smile

7. donotfear profile image85
      donotfearposted 13 years ago

This is a really deep lol subject.....uh, well, I sent a message to my son who is a Physics/Astronomy major. I gave him the link to this thread. Maybe he can shed some light.

I will be anxiously waiting. 

I happen to catch a couple of phrased on Nova or history channel that explained that the U.S. had sent a rocket that is suposed to cross the path on the back side of the sun to observe whatever there is to learn.   I wondered at the time if this had anything to do with the 12-21-2012 thing.

8. Jerami profile image58

Our sun and solar system is revolving around something. 
      That something is what I am referring to as center. 
        I think that is the black hole?

That is not a black hole. Our sun's movement is affected by other celestial objects gravity pull. There are other galaxies nearby, so sun is not revolving around any one of those celestial objects specifically .

1. TruthDebater profile image53
          TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am confused on this as well. If there is no fixed pull from one dominate force, how does the sun have a fixed rotation?

Yea me too??

2. skyfire profile image81

I don't know what do you mean by fixed rotation. Without looking at the solar system from various sides of our galaxy and without trying to understand the forces affecting the stars, i don't know how you managed to determine fixed rotation & direction of sun.

Whatever the solar system is doing it seems to be doing it on a regular basis.

Scientists say that this event coming up in 2012 happens every 26000 years.

And they know that events like halley's comet happens every 76 years. 

How can they know where Mars is going to be years before they land a rover on it?

Gotta be a consistent rotation.

I would guess that it takes 26000 years for the sun to rotate around the milky way.

I'll take my craziness a step farther.  I bet that our milky way has a fixed rotation around something even bigger????

Makes sense to me, thanks for explaining. If there were no fixed movements or rotations, I would think it would be hard to get accurate measurements that we do.

3. Beelzedad profile image58

Who says it does?

2. Pcunix profile image91

Were you not taught ANY of this in school?

Yea I was; but they have found all kinds of new stuff since then.

You know how science is..  They learn something new then they get rid of a planet or two.

9. skyfire profile image81
      skyfireposted 13 years ago

I doubt that. Atleast here in Asia, there is limited astrophysics syllabus in school.

I guess.

But it's so easy today to educate yourself on almost any subject, I just find some of this quite surprising.

True. There are lot of resources these days like questia, arvix.org, IEEE, NASA, Berkeley & Harvard Online free content.

10. TruthDebater profile image53
      TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

I think Jerami has a point on this one. This states a black hole is at the center of our galaxy and the sun orbits around the center of the galaxy. Whether or not the black hole has effect on the suns rotation, I don't know. I think it does make it odd that we rotate around our center because of the suns force, but that the suns center has no force that keeps it in rotation.

The Galactic Center is the rotational center of the Milky Way galaxy. It is located at a distance of 8.33±0.35 kpc (~27,000±1,000 ly) from the Earth[1][2][3][4][5] in the direction of the constellations Sagittarius, Ophiuchus, and Scorpius where the Milky Way appears brightest. It is believed that there is a supermassive black hole at the Galactic Center of the Milky Way.[6]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center

11. skyfire profile image81

LMAO.

12. skyfire profile image81

To certain extent we can make prediction about planets(position,speed of rotation etc) but saying whatever the solar system is doing is regular basis sounds like naive statement.

Lol. No comment.

Predicting rotation of comets and predicting 2012 events is entirely different. We are able to predict comets cycle because we've managed to find out about all the places in which those comets are moving recursively. 

Not consistent but more of predictable. Even earth is not consistent with it's speed after years of evolution.

You're free to make assumptions but the fact is there is no fixed rotation for milky way around something bigger. You've to show us that something bigger.

Thanks. The only way something is predictable is if it's consistent. Why does something have to be bigger to have more force? Do you forget the big bang theory started from a single atom? How big is an atom?

To predict something inconsistent we measure it over time period. That doesn't mean we can't predict things that are inconsistent. Climate of this planet is inconsistent, does that mean we have not managed to predict about it ?

Small or Big ? Show me the *Single* force in this galaxy that you assume is keeping sun's rotation fixed.

Thanks. The less consistency, the less predictability. There are different consistencies like the weather. If climate had no repitition or consistency, then it would be unpredictable.
            What do you mean small or big?
            Please quote where I assumed anything.
            http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/Sta … ion18.html
            Check the link, it looks pretty interesting.

You assumed single force that keeps the rotation of the sun fixed here in this quote.
              |
              v

Now try to google about it and check if your assumption is giving you any close answers to the fact.

This only taken into consideration when we know the parameters that caused inconsistencies,then we can predict. Try to find the single parameter which as per your assumption kept sun's rotation fixed.

About that links - You find any answers for questions like center of universe ? or black hole at the center of solar system ?

Thanks. I didn't know it was an assumption, I thought it was a question. Do you believe there is no predictability or repetition in the suns rotation? If there is any predictability or repetition, this should make it fixed to some extent.
                Explain why the sun rotates around no center point that controls it's gravity when the earth and other planets rotate around a center point that determine their gravity?

It's your assumptiom because you used repeatadly in your questions. If you think sun's rotation is predictabe because of that single force,prove it.

Thanks. Where did I state this as fact? I do not know what an assumptiom is. Why would I think it is by a single force when other planets effect the earths rotation besides the sun?

We are moving at an average velocity of 828,000 km/hr. But even at that high rate, it still takes us about 230 million years to make one complete orbit around the Milky Way! http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/Sta … ion18.html

How would we have an idea of how fast and how long it takes the sun to rotate the galaxy without some kind of fixed rotation, repitition, or predictability?

1) Check the post where i quoted your question where you assumed this.

2) How can we predict rotation of sun? Calculations taken over period of time.

2. dosters profile image79
                dostersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"You assumed single force that keeps the rotation of the sun fixed here in this quote.
                |
                v"

Paste Fail.

Lol, i pasted the quote in the quotes.

13. dosters profile image79
      dostersposted 13 years ago

The center of the Solar system is the sun.  Glad we got that figured out.

The sun and another 1-4 billion other stars orbit around Sagittarius A* (pronounced A-star), which is called a "supermassive black hole."

Our Milky Way galaxy in turn is one of a possible 125 billion or so galaxies, each with varying structures and numbers of stars affecting their shape, gravity, etc.

So do you believe the black hole has some or no effect being at the center of our galaxy? Also, how can we know the full effects of gravity when we don't know what effects dark matter has or if it exists?

1. dosters profile image79
          dostersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, the black hole itself has a tremendous effect on our particular galactic system, as it creates the size and shape of the vast system.  That said, its impact is lost when viewed in a larger scope.  Check out this video to see what I mean:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPijjKt … re=related

14. Jerami profile image58

It just seems too simple to not be true ; that everything in the universe already has a designated path. That everything is in orbit.  Of course we have objects colliding and having a new projected path designated to it. Until it impacts something else.
         I know my terminology suffers but
         Just saying; Is it over simplification to say; everything is in orbit around something, from the smallest to the largest.  How could it all work for these millions of years if it didn't?

Jerami, trying to imagine the way things are without actually learning anything about it does not produce results or answers that are in any way valid or credible. smile

Neither does often typing one or two liners teach anything except for your entertainment. What is the point of lecturing people to learn when you are unwilling to teach anything?

Are you saying that you need to learn everything from me, that you're unable to learn something on your own?

It would seem too that you have ignored that fact that I have indeed been talking specifically to Jerami and answering his questions, which are good questions.

Your claim then is disingenuous. smile

Thanks. No, it just seems someone that lectures others to learn would be willing to teach something. I give you credit for your comments at the top of the thread, but most others have been 1 or 2 liners.

2. Jerami profile image58

I can't tell ya how many times in life that after prolonged investigation and an exhaustive analytical procedure, that I find myself  having gone full circle,  and the oversimplified explination was sufficient; Good enough for me anyway.

What do you mean by "prolonged investigation and exhaustive analytical procedure"? smile

answering this question would be a prime example of what I'm talking about.
                After a long drawn out explination by me and analytical examination by you,  nothing will have been added to or taken away from the original statement.   

A wild goose chase averted.

I'll be checking back in from time to time.
              Painting a few walls around my house today.

Are you saying that no amount of explanation on my side will help you understand it or change your beliefs? smile

NOoo  I'm not saying that..   I was speaking of me answering that particular question that you asked in that particular post.

As far as the OP  I suspect that after we have explored and gone completely around the universe, explaining every detail to its fullest extent we will arrive back at step one.

The sun and our solar system is on a pre designated path with slight deviations.

Actually, there are some pretty serious deviations and no clear path due to the fact that the solar system bobs and weaves through the galactic plane and is not revolving the same way as we are around our sun. smile

What do you mean bobs and weaves? I thought everything had predictable movement unless an outside force changes it? Are things crashing into it making it change course?

15. Jerami profile image58

But to assume that we have figured all of this out? 
        To calculate the path of the sun around the milky way can be compared to swimming a hundred yards and figuring out the curvature of the earth.

My mind is way too simplistic to imagine our sun not being held in a predictable path around the milky way.

Maybe it is the milky way itself that holds us on our path. And it is that black hole that has the milky way held in its path??

Is the Milky way held in any kind of path?

I'll sit my uninformed self aside now and learn something.
      I gotta paint a bedroom today anyway.

That is where General Relativity comes into play. However, even Newton's and Keppler's laws are all that is needed to be close.

Evidently not. That is why we need to further study that phenomenon. smile

16. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years ago

This thread reminds me of a song that went more or less like this :
      "Don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me !
           Roooolllllll another one... just like the other one !"

hehe

17. Jerami profile image58

As far as my origional question; it seems that I was wrong. It isn't the black hole in the milkey way that holds our system in its path, but the milky way as a whole does.

Back to the original point in question?  Would the solar activity on the back side of the sun be affected differently than on the side facing the milky way?

I suspect that it possibly does and we will be seeing this up close and personal in a few years. It is reported that there will be record activity on the sun about this time.

Time will tell.

18. skyfire profile image81

You did assumed when you questioned to me and then made paragraph based on that assumption of yours "single force behind fixed rotation".

Calculations over period of time is based on parameters which are necessary to know the outcome. For example, we try to understand velocity, direction and forces on celestial objects in this case. There are many deviation and many results never follow strict path to get accurate answers. Don't tell me you never came across linear increase or fluctuations which are happened with things over period of time. They don't have to be repeating, in fact in many calculations we don't get them. So if you assume "rotation is fixed by single force"(without giving any necessary details about your calculation) prove it.

19. skyfire profile image81

1. There exists nothing outside the universe to cause any force.

2. To answer about expansion you need astrophysicist here. Even that person can't give concrete answer because we've limited observations regarding the expanding universe. We can't say it is uniformly expanding or heavily expanding from X direction. There are very limited observation in this area.

Thanks for your honesty. How do you know there exists nothing outside the universe that causes force when we don't know everything inside the universe that causes force to expand?

I am not assuming, I am just stating that it seems odd that the sun is our dominate force of gravity, but the sun has no dominating force of gravity. I agree other planets effect the earth and suns rotation, but how is there rotation without a dominate force in the middle?

1. Empirical Evidence for big-bang proves that there is no force causing it or steering it from outside.

2. You're assuming about the force in middle. But to keep it in momentum do the force have to be from the middle ?

20. bukan profile image60
      bukanposted 13 years ago

As far from solar eclipse..... Try to feel the accidents of your life while you are passing on the bad time is their any existence of black hole at that particular moment on your mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)