The public opinion of science

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. superwags profile image67
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

I am from a scietific background and am generally trusting of the scientific peer reiew system for advancing our knowledge as a species. However, increasingly I think there is a lack of connection, understanding and, more alarmingly, denial of science by the public.

This runs the whole spectrum of science; from relatively benign things like nutritional medicine, but right through to the really scarey extreme which includes AIDS denialism.

Evolution is obviously a hotly debated topic, but this can mainly be put down, I think, to entrenched religious beliefs, rather than an intellegent argument of the science. Other topics include global warming, a process for which we have many thousands of peices of evidence, anti-vaccination and anti-pharmaseutics generally.

Though you can feel free to debate any of those topics mentioned or others; I'm more interested in the feeling of people as to the root cause of this willful ignorance of good science in favour of unsubstansiated nonesense. I think it has to do with a lack of engagement from the scientific community, the apparent remoteness and complexness of the topics in peer reviewed publications and the ludacris idea that everybody's opinion should hold equal merit in a debate on any subject.

Thoughts please!

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's because schools teach for tests, not for understanding.

"Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!" should be required reading throughout all science schools.

I never got into the math of science (i solved acceleration problems using algebra!), but I can tell you what's happening when you look outside better than most people with physics degrees.

superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But it wouldn't cause you to ignore the best scientific advice on something serious though, would it? Though I can see why it causes a disconnection between taught topics and application.

I haven't read it but I'll check it out. The kind of counter-intuitive things Feynman taught in, there's no wonder they thought he was joking!

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is a good book for some of the medical examples in the question; everything from herbal remedies to AIDS denial.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Feynman, in at least one chapter, discusses how people who study for tests are able to tell you all about "random event in the world #57", but when they see it right before their eyes, they aren't able to understand that what they are seeing is what was on the test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzg1CU8t … re=related

2. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

Hi Superwags,

You have posed many questions in your statement.
    My father in law lectures science students and we have had many interesting discussions regarding evolution which i shall not repeat as they are merely our own opinions.

The gist of most of the discussion centers around being able to provide the information at an early age to younger students, allowing them to form an opinion on their own. It would be a little late to try and change ones opinion with publications that profess to have new discoveries and proof contrary to ones beliefs.

This goes back to the evolution versus creationism debate as well as the teaching thereof in the school system. Now there's a tough debate. Do you think evolution should be part of the science syllabus at schools.

There is a public distrust for science when you consider what science is linked to in the tabloids like stem cell research and cloning.

So, my answer would be that it is not due to the complexity of issues discussed in peer-reviewed publications, but the aims of the scientists themselves to search only for that which is in contradiction to theosophy and religious persons the world over.

If their skills were put to technological break-through, then I would have a different opinion on their work. Messing with nature in any form does not bode well in my book.

My two cents worth.

superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I agree with you in so far as the tabloids do help to polarise and report extreme cases (I would too, if I wanted the readership figures).

The whole point of science is for technological breakthrough, that's effectively what science is! "Messing around with nature" may help many millions of people to feed themselves in the future and save many lives in medical advances surely?

And yes, of course I think evolution should be taught in schools as it's the basis of biologicl systems - how else would you teach biology, zoology, medicine, pharmacy, genetics, taxonomy, paleantology, biotechnology, microbiology, ecology etc?!!

My solution to the creation vs evolution debate is to teach the former in church and not in schools.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I like the way you phrased this willful ignorance.. I think ignorance comes from lack of knowledge/instruction and fear. People don't want to consider scientific studies out of fear that it may actually refute their own beliefs. It's really like anyone who is in denial of anything, I think the root cause is fear, sometimes it's dressed up like pride.

I watched Apollo 13 last night and thought how fortunate we were to have dedicated rocket scientists that were able to think quickly and methodically to bring the astronauts home alive.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The public opinion of science-

Ironically, 2/3 of the world is religious in some manner, so common knowledge of science from the religious community who isn't part of the educate elite, are too dumbfounded to grasp all of science to begin with.

Thus, when someone comes along and tells them something in the most basic understanding, they still won't listen.

In America, facts are viewed as what an individual can prove and that specific view is a detriment to society's survival, as a whole, yet no one is actually paying attention.

Therefore, the entire extinction of the human species could happen from one action, and most of the planet gets destroyed, while 75% or all of the human species is wiped out.

An interesting thought.....kind like death itself- comes at a time when you least expect it. Oh well. hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)