- Education and Science
Funny, Astounding Laws Still on the Books Around the US
Laws! We have to obey them. Federal, state, and municipal. Sometimes they frustrate us. We'd like to drive just a little faster, pay lower taxes, or fix the problems within education or the insurance industry. But...there are some silly or crazy laws still on the books today in every state that we should be very glad are not being enforced today. Here are some examples.
1. You may not wrestle a bear.
2. It is illegal to have an ice cream cone in your back pocket.
3. It is illegal to spit orange peels onto sidewalks.
1. It is illegal to look at a moose from an airplane.
2. It is illegal to push a moose out of a moving airplane.
3. No one can possess a bow and arrow within the city limits.
4. A person may not take their pet into a barber shop.
1. Donkeys may not sleep in bathtubs.
2. Hunting camels is prohibited.
3. No more than six girls may live in any house.
1. No one may suddenly start or stop their car at McDonalds.
2. Arkansas must be pronounced "Arkansaw".
1. Anyone wishing to keep a rhinocerous as a pet must obtain a $100 license first.
2. Growing oleander plants is illegal.
3. Driving a herd of cattle down the street is illegal.
Florida (My State)
1. Destin, Florida law says that a cat that viciously chases people is a "bad cat".
2. Fiddlers and stay at home dads are considered vagrants.
3. If an elephant is tied to a parking meter, the parking fee must be paid just as it would be for a car.
Laws From Other States
1. A person is allowed only 5 minutes to fill out a voting ballot. (Alabama)
2. In Atlanta, Georga, you can not let your pubic hair grow past 6 inches.
3. In Idaho, it is illegal to ride a motorcycle if you are a 90 year old man.
4. In Shakopee, Minnesota, it is illegal to bulldoze a house when 5 or more cats occupy the ventilation system.
5. In Ohio, it is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
6. In Oklahoma, it is illegal to take a bite out of a person's hamburger without their permission first.
7. In Tennessee, it is illegal to import, possess, cause to be imported, or sell a skunk.
This is just a fraction of the humorous information I found. I tried to ensure that I included only those laws where the statute was provided, so the above are REAL laws still on the books. It is amazing to note that there were actual reasons in the past for the creation of these laws.