- Entertainment and Media
Andy Griffith Show Memories : Episode #12 - Stranger in Town
Stranger In Town
A stranger comes to town and seems to know a little too much about the people of Mayberry.
Episode Number: 12
Season Number: 1
First Aired: December 26, 1960
Writer: Arthur Stander
Director: Don Weis
- Andy Griffith (Andy Taylor)
- Ron Howard (Opie Taylor)
- Frances Bavier (Aunt Bee Taylor)
- Don Knotts (Barney Fife)
- Phil Chambers (Jason)
- Walter Baldwin (Floyd)
- William Lanteau (Ed Sawyer)
- George Dunn (Pete)
- Marlene Willis (Lucy Matthews)
- Sara Seegar (Mrs. Buntley)
- Pat Colby (Bill Matthews)
- Bill Erwin (George Sapley)
Mayberry seemingly crosses over into the Twilight Zone (or so it seems at first) in the episode titled "Stranger in Town." The stranger, Ed Sawyer (William Lanteau), arrives in Mayberry armed with an amazing amount of familiarity concerning the town and its people. Ed's weird ability to rattle off intimate details and facts about everyone's lives leads the townsfolk to conclude that he is either a spy, a space alien, or maybe both. Sheriff Andy finally discovers the truth and gives a stern lecture to everyone concerning how to treat people who may seem to be a little different from the norm.
Andy: Do you think people will ever go to the moon?
Andy: Boy, you're already there!
- This episode marks Floyd the Barber's first appearance in the series although (as noted), he is not played by Howard McNear but by Walter Baldwin.
- The series was filmed entirely in Hollywood, at Desilu Productions on the former RKO Pictures lot. Mayberry exteriors were shot on the former Selznick International Pictures lot, later known as Forty Acres. The rural fishing hole that opened each episode was Franklin Canyon Lake, just north of Beverly Hills. Franklin Canyon was also the site of the show's Myers Lake and other outdoor locales.
- The whistled theme song, "The Fishin' Hole" was composed by Earle Hagen (the music coordinator and famous whistler of the show) and Herbert Spencer, with unsung lyrics by Everett Sloane. Hagen also wrote the music for the series.
More From Mayberry
Come join in the fun of The Andy Griffith Show Online Hangman Game. It's therapetic! Just take the link below:
Episode #1 - The New Housekeeper
Episode #2 - The Manhunt
Episode #3 - The Guitar Player
Episode #4 - Ellie Comes to Town
Episode #5 - Irresistible Andy
Episode #6 - Runaway Kid
Episode #7 - Andy the Matchmaker
Episode #8 - Opie's Charity
Episode #9 - A Feud is a Feud
Episode #10 - Ellie for Council
Episode #11 - Christmas Story
Mayberry Business Principles : See Link Below
- Mayberry Business Principles
Remember These Mayberry Businesses? Wally's Filling Station, Foley's Market, Walker's Drug Store, Floyd's Barber Shop...