- Entertainment and Media»
- Cartoons & Animation
An anime convention is usually a three-day gathering of fans who like Japanese animation and Japanese culture (though quite frequently, many other parts of modern Internet culture are included). There are also some smaller conventions that last only one or two days, held at college campuses or stores, though the word convention usually means a three day event held at a hotel or convention center. Anime cons have a ton of different activities and events, ranging from talks, FAQs, debates, autographs, and more.
Top 3 Anime Conventions
Anime Expo - Brings 80,000+ people to Los Angeles every year. Anime Expo partners with anime distributors, vendors, directors, Japanese guests, and voice actors to put on an amazing show every year.
Otakon - Brings 25,000+ people to Baltimore every year. Otakon has been around for 19 years, and is widely appreciated as an amazing convention.
Anime Central - Brings 25,000+ people to Chicago every year, and with ACEN being the third largest anime convention there are huge anime cons in nearly every part of the country. Anime Central is not just the third largest anime convention, but it is also one of the youngest.
Considering the south has large sci-fi conventions like Dragon*Con, there are big fan conventions withing a few hours of you wherever you live.
Tips for Attending An Anime Convention
- Learn about which cons you can attend. Some cons are a lot better than others, so do your research online.
- Register early to save money.
- Get as many of your friends to go with you as possible. Whole anime clubs can go together.
- Bring lots of money for the dealers room.
- Memorize the schedule of events, especially the ones you want to go to.
- Bring stuff for the guests to sign, if you are going to meet them.
- Make a really awesome costume, and spend a lot of time on it. You can buy one too, but they don't always look as good.