- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Collecting & Collections
What is a Sci-Fi Convention?
A science-fiction convention is a gathering of like-minded nerds who are interested in science-fiction. Sometimes these conventions focus on literary sci-fi, like Tolkein or Prachett, while others focus on TV shows like Star Trek and Star Wars. Conventions often have either authors, directors, or actors appearing to answer questions, interact with fans, and sign autographs. Science-fiction conventions are similar to horror conventions and anime conventions as they can either be run by big corporations with connections to TV networks, or by fans.
Biggest Sci-Fi Conventions
Dragon*Con is absolutely the largest sci-fi convention in the world, with over 40,000 people coming to Atlanta every year to party and celebrate sci-fi fandom.
WorldCon happens in different places every year, and is sometimes the largest sci-fi convention in the region. It is certainly one of the most well known and well established sci-fi cons, especially since the convention awards special awards every year.
Tips for Attendees
Attending your first sci-fi convention can be a thrilling experience, and one that everyone should try to do at least once. Sci-fi cons can include lots of people in costumes, and a lot of really geeky people. The first time you go, consider attending in regular clothes, or clothes that just show off a little of your geeky side. That way you can decide whether or not you have the time and energy to dress up like everyone else.
- Bring lots of money, especially if you want autographs or to buy things from dealers.
- Bring water, snacks, etc, if you plan to be there all day. Some conventions have free snacks, while others expect you to pay $4 per soda at the convention center store.
- Plan in advance what you're going to do. Read the schedule thoroughly so that you don't miss things you want to see.
- Arrive early so that you can get in line early, if you need to. Some autograph lines can be hours long, especially for very popular actors.
- Stay in the convention hotel if you plan to go for multiple days for lots of events. You'll be the first one there to get in line for autographs and events.
- Register early to get the best discount on admission tickets. Some events sell out in advance!