Cop Out Review
Cop Out (2010) review
This is an example of everything going wrong with a movie, in my opinion. This was supposed to be a buddy-cop action comedy, but it fell short in almost every way. I really wanted to like this movie because I am a Kevin Smith fan, but I was sadly disappointed by this bomb of a film. The script didn’t have much potential, it was pretty bad to start with and the casting choices and directing style could have helped save the movie but didn’t. Tracy Morgan just isn’t funny to me and in my opinion doesn't belong on the big screen. The redeeming moments in this movie were very few and far between, just barely enough for me to sit through it to be honest..
Cop Out (2010) was directed by Kevin Smith and written by Mark and Robb Cullen. It stars Tracy Morgan and Bruce Willis. Jimmy (Willis) and Paul (Morgan) are detectives who get suspended for using excessive force. Jimmy needs to come up with 40 thousand dollars to pay for his daughter's wedding so he decides to sell a rare baseball card. When the card gets stolen, Jimmy and Paul are forced to jump back in to police work so they can track down the card.
First of all, most of the jokes were not funny. It seemed like the worse the joke was, the more time they spent trying to drive it home. It came off as stupid and lazy to me. There were far too many scenes where they beat a joke to death that really wasn't funny to begin with.
There were a lot of problems with the script. For instance, the dialog was boring and predictable. I hope that most of the lines were ad libbed.That would be the only excuse for this poor effort.
Also, Willis and Morgan just didn’t have any on screen chemistry. Willis is a great actor who was way over qualified for this role, and Morgan is not believable as a cop in any way, shape or form. I suppose the only redeeming quality was some of the action scenes. There were a couple pretty good chases, but that's about it.
Skip this movie, watch any other Bruce Willis action movie. You can watch some reruns of 30 Rock, where Morgan is where he should be, on the small screen.
- Cop Out had a budget of 30 million dollars and the worldwide gross was 55.6 million dollars.
- This film debuted on February 26, 2010 and was produced and distributed by Warner Bros.
- Cop Out was filmed in New York.
- This is the first film by Kevin Smith not be written by him, and his first film produced by a major studio.
- This is the first film by Kevin Smith not to have been produced by Scott Mosier. Mosier opted out because he had his own project he wanted to direct.
- Kevin Smith said that part of the appeal of directing this project was that this is the type of film his late father would have enjoyed.
- This is Smith's first film since Mallrats that Harvey and Bob Weinstein were not involved.
- Jason Mewes and Ben Affleck were approached for roles in this film, but couldn't make it due to scheduling conflicts.
- The screenplay was in the 2008 Blacklist (a list of the best unproduced screenplays).
- This is Kevin Smiths highest grossing movie.
- Kevin Smith claimed via twitter that he took an 80% cut to make the film.
- This is the third Kevin Smith film not to feature Jay and Silent Bob.