The history of Friday the 13th
Are you superstitious? I know I am. Do bad things happen to you on Friday the 13th? Do you lock yourself up in your house so no bad things happen to you? Well I'm here to tell you all about Friday the 13th and maybe your worrying will go away. I will give you the history of Friday the 13th and how all of the bad superstitions came about. If you are interested please keep reading!
The history of Friday the 13th all began in at least 1700 BC. Back when numerology was popular people would always say thirteen is an unlucky number, and Friday is an unlucky day. Knowing this many people refused to do absolutely anything, in fact businesses usually loose about 700 million dollars every Friday the 13th. Black Friday is also considered bad in theory because of stock market crashes and other bad disasters since the 1800s. More accidents and tragedies are on a Friday than any other day of the week.
The Knights Templar and Friday the 13th are related because of the slaughtering of the Knights massacre of the Knights Templar on Friday October 13, 1307. Philip IV of France forced his men to capture all the Templars and slaughter the ones who refused. Many Knights Templar escaped their persecution by fleeing to Scotland. Then after all of the many tragedies on Friday the 13th, people began to paralyze people in fear. According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute that more than 17 million people are highly affected by this day. There was a thirteen club formed in 1881. This club was used to try and improve the numbers reputation. The thirteen club attempted to improve the reputation of 13 by walking under ladders covered in salt. The club had over 400 members including many presidents. Friday the 13th is just a superstition, but most people do believe something horrible will happen to them or their families. Superstitions give people the creeps, and I’m pretty sure everybody has one that they believe in. If you’re interested in some of the superstitions that I know read below!
Here are some supersititons that my great grandmother had told my grandmother who told me! I hope you enjoy reading about them.
First off here are some of the basics that a lot of people know:
- Don't open an umbrella inside, this is told to give you bad luck and will possibly poke someone's eye out!
- If a black cat crosses the road in front of you, you must turn around and go back or you will be cursed.
- Always put your right shoe on first or you will have bad luck.
- Saying that something will not happen to you, you must knock on wood or it will come true!
- If you found a penny face up, you should pick it up and put it in your left shoe or left pocket, and it will bring you good luck! If you found a penny face down, you must throw it over your left shoulder or you will have bad luck.
- Don't walk under ladders or you will be cursed.
- Breaking a mirror will cause you seven years of bad luck.
- It is told that if you see a bride before the wedding you will have bad luck all through the marrage, or be cursed with a divorce!
Here are a few that you might not have heard of before
- Apparently if someone gives you knives as a wedding present, you must pay them money so you aren't cursed.
- If you bump an elbow you must also bump the other one to get rid of the bad luck!
- You must walk on the same sides of posts and trees or it's considered bad luck.
- Hearing an owl at night, you should put a broom in the corner of your house and put a shoe over it to prevent bad luck.
Remember don't be scared about superstitions or Friday the 13th, just live your life as you normally would and everything will turn out fine. Just because somebody had a bad day on the 13th doesn't mean you should ruin your life worrying about it! Thanks for reading!
Other articles you might find interesting!
- List of Weird Phobias
If you get scared easy about spiders, riding in cars, or even staying single you may have a phobia. Keep reading for a list of many phobias and there definitions.
- Random Fun Facts
Did you know that none of the Beatles knew how to read music? Well if your interested in funny facts like that then this is the article for you! Keep reading for more fun random facts.