Kid Friendly Activities Around Denver, CO
As a mother of 3 children all under the age of 7, I know getting out of the house is a must. It is often a struggle to find kid friendly activities in my area. Through much experimentation and research I have found many activities for all ages!
Denver Zoo (Denver)
The Denver Zoo is located in the heart of Denver, just minutes for downtown, near City Park.
- Spans over 75 acres and home to 40,000 animals representing over 650 different species.
- Consistently ranked in top zoos in America.
- Summer Hours (March 1-October 31)
Admissions Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Grounds close at 6 p.m.
- Winter Hours (November 1-February 28)
Admissions open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Grounds close at 5 p.m.
- Special kid-only events such as Early Explorer Expeditions, Bunk with the Beasts and Zoo Camps are offered.
- Admission ranges for $10-$15, with little ones under 2 admitted for free.
Dinosaur Ridge (Morrison)
Dinosaur Ridge is a non profit organization featuring two outdoors trails and indoor exhibits located in Morrison, CO. It will sure to please any future archeologist out there.
- Features both bone and track specimens for animals that are believed to have lived over 150 million years ago.
- Choose from guided, self guided or shuttle bus tours.
- Indoor exhibit provides hands on entertainment for children.
- Summer hours – June through August: 10:00AM-4:30PM
- Winter hours – September through May: 10:00AM-3:30PM
- Admission is free, but certain exhibits or shuttle bus involve a small fee.
Children's Museum of Denver (Denver)
The Children's Museum of Denver, as the name suggests, is a museum dedicated exclusively for children.
- Offers kid exhibits, classes and events daily.
- Family memberships are offered, so coming back often is encouraged.
- Eat Street Cafe, a fresh and healthy grab-and-go restaurant is available on onsite, or bringing your own food is welcomed as well.
- Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9 a.m.– 4 p.m.
Wednesday, 9 a.m.– 7:30 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday, 10 a.m.– 5 p.m.
- Admission is $9, kids under 1 admitted free.
Downtown Aquarium (Denver)
The Downtown Aquarium is located in downtown Denver. The aquarium boasts over more than one million gallons of extraordinary exhibits.
- All under one roof: aquarium, full-service restaurant, upscale bar and ballroom.
- Carousal and train rides available for kids for an additional $2.
- Over 500 species of animals to explore.
- Hours: Sunday – Thursday: 10am – 9pm
Friday & Saturday: 10am – 9:30pm
- Admission is $12 for kids 12 and under, $18 for adults and little ones under 2 are free.
Red Rocks Park & Amphitheater (Morrison)
Red Rocks Amphitheater is well known for it's impressive music destination, but many don't know it's a great place to go during the day with the whole family.
- Various hiking and biking trails throughout the area. Some may be a little bumpy, so use caution.
- Visitor center on site that includes a restruant that serves breakfast through dinner.
- Feel free to roam around yourself or enjoy guided tours Monday-Sunday at 10 am.
- Admission is always free!
Platte Valley Trolley (Denver)
While history may not be the top fun thing for a kid these days, the Platte Valley Trolley will not disappoint. Both kids and adults alike with enjoy the fallback breezer streetcar.
- 25 minutes rides along the Soute Platte River.
- Interesting facts are given by operators during the ride.
- Hours: operates Friday, Saturday, Sunday from 12-3:30pm, departing every 30 minutes.
- Admission is a mere $5 for adults, $3 for kids under 13 and kids under 3 are free.
Carousel of Happiness (Nederland)
The Carousel of Happiness is a restored 1910 carousel located in historic Nederland, just one hour from Denver.
- Features 58 hand-carved animals to ride while the music of 1913 Wurlitzer band organ plays.
- Upstairs features an observation room and a do-it-yourself puppet show area.
- Open from Memorial Day-Labor Day 7 days a week from 10:00AM to 8:00PM.
- Rides are only $1, so kids can ride several times!
Fun City (Littleton)
As the name suggests, Fun City is packed with fun for all ages. Located 20 miles away from Denver, in Littleton, Fun City is an indoor fun fantasy!
- This 144,000 square feet building features laser tag, bowling, foam factory, climbing wall, miniature golf and an arcade room.
- Restaurant inside features pizza, burgers, wraps and other kid pleasing foods.
- Hours Sunday-Thursday 11:00AM-9:00PM, Friday & Saturday 11:00AM-11:00PM.
- Prices vary, you can purchase individual attractions, hourly packages or all day packages ranging from $25-$30.
Pirate's Cove Water Park (Englewood)
Pirates Cove is child-centered outdoor water park located just outside of Denver in the suburb of Englewood.
- Offers a leisure pool with a large play structure for the little ones.
- Has a 35-foot slide tower with three slides.
- Concessions for those in between play hungers.
- Hours are in the summer from 10:00AM to 6:00PM, weekends only starting in August 10.
- Admission for children under 17 is $8.50, adults $7.50.
That's Not All
Of course it would be impossible to list all the activities around the Denver area, but I hope this helps!
What is your favorite place to go with your kids around Denver?