Facts that you do not need to know
Entertainment, happiness, and humor is said to play a key role in good health. It can also have positive affects against diseases and conditions as diverse as high blood pressure, the common cold, heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, and the list goes on. Here are some strange facts to lighten up your work week and maybe even help you get healthier.
1) A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
2) Reno, Nevada is west of Los Angeles, California.
3) If you ate too many carrots, you'd turn orange.
4) A sneeze can exceed 100 mph.
5) 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
6) The guillotine was invented to kill prisoners in a humane way.
7) It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.
8) The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
9) There is no chocolate in a Reese's pieces.
10) Originally Coca Cola contained an estimated 9 mg's of cocaine per glass.
11) Space station astronauts see 15 to 16 sunrises and sunsets every day.
12) Polar bears have black skin.
13) Eastern diamond rattlesnakes can give birth up to five years after mating.
14) Gandhi covered the 1932 Olympic games in Los Angeles as a reporter.
15) Having sex will make a headache disappear.
16) Jimmy Carter was the first U.S. president to have been born in a hospital.
17) The median price of a home in the city of Detroit is now about $6000.
18) A Saudi Arabian woman can get a divorce if her husband doesn't give her coffee.
19) Every time Beethoven sat down to write music, he poured ice water over his head.
20) A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in South Bend, Indiana.
21) Alaska law says that you can't look at a moose from an airplane.
22) On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
23) The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
24) In Kentucky, it's the law that a person must take a bath once a year.
25) In Virginia, chickens cannot lay eggs before 8:00 a.m., and must be done before 4:00 p.m.
26) In Michigan, married couples must live together or be imprisoned.
27) A sneeze travels out your mouth at over 100 miles per hour.
27) Slugs have 4 noses.
28) The average American drinks about 600 sodas a year.
29) What is called a "French kiss" in the English speaking world is known as an "English kiss" in France.
30) More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
31) Earth is the only planet not named after a god.
32) The skeleton of Jeremy Bentham is present at all important meetings of the University of London.
33) An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
34) Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
35) The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
36) Average life span of a major league baseball is only 7 pitches.
37) On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
38) In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
39) Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood.
40) The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.
41) The original story from "Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights" begins, "Aladdin was a little Chinese boy."
42) Michael Jordan made more money from NIKE annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
43) The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
44) Spiral staircases in medieval castles are running clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs they would not be able to use their right hand which was holding the sword because of the difficulties of climbing the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no troubles, except left-handed people could never become knights because it was assumed that they were descendants of the devil.
45) The longest place name still in use is: Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotameteat uripukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenua kitanatahu which is a hll in New Zealand.
46) All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
47) The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player for automobiles.
48) Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.
49) Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."
50) Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.