Top Ten Best Chick Flicks: Movies To Watch With Her So She'll Love You Forever
Chick flicks... just the term makes you guy squirm in your seats, don't deny it! And it's not because you don't like these movies, I know secretly, deep down in your testosterone-laced hearts you do. At least some of them. It's all that EMOTION...admit it...that makes you uncomfortable. Not to mention, they might make your girl think all men are as romantic as the guys in those movies and you'll just have one more thing besides her rich ex-boyfriend to try to live up to...I know, cut you some slack, right? And in those chick flicks, they always end up in a committed relationship, God forbid!
But wait a minute, you like this woman, right? You want to do things to make her happy and please her, right? We won't even go into your real reasons for wanting to do those things, but we'd like to believe they're completely altruistic. HA! Anyway, it's only a couple of hours of your life and it could pay you back ten-fold. Then you can get back to Sports Center, the Matrix, Die Hard XXIII, and real guy stuff like that.
And The Nominees For All Time Best Chick Flicks Are...
Without further ado, let's get down to the top ten movies, in no particular order, that are guaranteed to turn her into a complete puddle of goo in your hands.
(1) The Notebook - Need I explain why? The intensity of young love, love denied, and love reborn, ya gotta love it. Well, YOU don't have to love it, but she does and that's all that matters. And your heart would have to be completely made of stone if you don't shed a tear or two at the end
(2) Fifty First Dates - How can you not love the kooky combination of Adam Sandler, Mr. Can't Commit and the off-beat Drew Barrymore who has a traumatic brain injury that impairs her memory, so every day's a new day? Guys, you all could use a do-over now and then right? Set in Hawaii, too, so beautiful scenery as well.
Classic Chick Flicks
Julia Roberts & Richard Gere
(3) Pretty Woman- a classic Cinderella story with the very lovely Julia Roberts with the equally lovely Richard Gere as her handsome prince. Did I say Richard Gere is insanely handsome in this movie? Oh, I'm sorry, this is for YOUR benefit, I forgot! Well, you do get to see a very young Julia Roberts dressed as a hooker in thigh high boots and skimpy clothes, so there's something for you as well.
(4) When Harry Met Sally - an even older classic with a not so handsome Billy Crystal and the very cute Meg Ryan as two longtime friends who end up falling in love. This would be a good one for you to pick if you are in the situation where you're stuck in friend gear and you want to move to relationship gear. See how I related that to cars, something you guys can understand? And who can forget the scene where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in the middle of a crowded restaurant, right? Of course, we would never do that to you men. Of course we wouldn't.
Great Romantic Comedies
The Lovely Demi Moore
(5) Ghost - Again, the pairing of two very attractive people, Demi Moore and the late Patrick Swayze who have a love that transcends even death. Besides the love story aspect, it might even make you laugh a little since it also includes Whoopi Goldberg as a psychic. I wonder if she foresaw she would end up on that annoying show, "The View?"
(6) Four Weddings And A Funeral - Starring the stunning Andy McDowell and the charming Hugh Grant as two people whose paths keep crossing, but never quite pause long enough at the intersection...until of course, the end. It wouldn't be a great chick flick if it ended badly, now would it?
(7) Bridget Jones Diary - Renee Zellweger, Hugh Grant, (he certainly gets around!), and Colin Firth in an unlikely love triangle. Bridget is a chubby and socially awkward woman who ends up keeping a diary about her love life or lack thereof...only a fantasy type diary which gets her into trouble. Kissing in the snow in your knickers, ya gotta love it!
The Final Three Classic Chick Flicks!!
(8) How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days - stars the kooky, but pretty Kate Hudson and the hunky, oh, I'm sorry, did I say hunky, I meant to say dumpy, Matthew McConnahey as two people who meet by chance with a mission, to dump each other in 10 days. Guys, you won't suffer too much on this one as some of the things she does to lose him remind you of your worst girlfriend ever, which now that you've distanced yourself from her (thank you, God), are pretty funny.
(9) Titanic - Unlikely? Yes. Overblown? Double yes. Guaranteed to make both of you cry your eyes out in the last few minutes and end up sobbing in each other's arms? Yeah, baby! Starring gorgeous Kate Winslet and boyishly handsome Leonardo DeCaprio.
And last, but not least, insert drum roll here:
(10) An Officer and A Gentleman - featuring the long suffering Richard Gere as a down and out loser who seeks to make something of his life by going to Naval officer candidate school and meeting a young Debra Winger. You'll love it because of the manly physical challenges he must face to graduate. She'll love it, because of Gere yet again, and the Cinderella story aspect.
How To Get A Girl In One Night!
So there you have it! I hope you've found at least one of these films that you can stomach for a couple of hours. Take my advice, get some popcorn, pick up one of these movies, grab a bottle of wine (whatever wine goes with popcorn, I can't help you there) and show up on her doorstep. And for goodness sake, do NOT let the words "chick flick" enter the conversation! Tell her it's one of your all time favorite movies and you wanted to share it with her, only her!
She'll be eating out of your hand, gentlemen, I promise.