- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
What is your favorite Universal Monster, Monster Movie and Actor?
one of the many horror greats!
The Universal Monsters
The Monsters- Here are the creepiest creeps of them all.
*Frankenstein's Monster- Giant, green and mean, this freak wanders the hills and vals. Whatever you do, don't say hi. You see, he was assembled with parts of dead men and was accidentally given the brain of a psychotic killer! Nature makes mistakes, but none as big as Dr. Frankenstein's!
How can you kill it? Drain out its power, and disassemble. Gross!
* The Wolfman- When the moon is full Larry Talbot, a great neighbor, turns into the wolf next door! Lock your doors and steer clear of those who don't believe. His thirst and power are unstoppable...well, almost.
Kill it with any fatal blow or wound caused by silver.
* Dracula- Vlad the Impaler rises to drink the blood of his victims. He can change into a bat or a wolf and travels to unknowing women.Crucifixes , garlic, and holy water stun him and make his powers weak but, only a wooden stake in the heart or sunlight will send him back to Hell.
* The Mummy- A mad pharaoh was wrapped in bandages and buried in Egypt. When he returned, he was evil, and determined...that can never be good!
* The Bride of Frankenstein- She looked evil, but never got to play the part. She was short lived but memorable!
*The Creature from the Black lagoon- Deadly, strong , and aggressive, the beast from below attacks all that it sees. Half fish, half man, ...all trouble!
Who was Universal's best Monster?
The masters who played them!
William Henry Pratt (Boris Karloff)- From the Mummy to the Monster and every creep in between Karloff mastered each role like no other.
Lon Chaney- The Phantom, the Hunchback and Mr. Hyde were all brought to life in silent films by the man with 1,000 faces.
Lon Chaney Jr.- Though he played Draula's Son, Frankenstein's Monster, and other freaks of nature, he was best known for playing the Wolfman. Lon was a big man with an awesome presence, and boy could he act!
Bella Lugosi- Bella was unique and played a host of monsters and villains. However, no one could play Dracula like he did! Remember the evil smirk, and those eyes. It was a shame that his career and life ended as it did.
Claude Reins- He was only 5'0 tall and used elevator shoes and wooden ramps to look taller on film. Best known for musicals and dance movies, Claude was excellent as Mr. Talbot, The Phantom, and The Invisible Man.
What was Universal's best movie
the truth about Dracula
Who was your favorite actor
Other blogs about the monsters and thier movies!
- The 10 best Black and White movies ever!
Remember the great old classics? Here they are!
- A brief history of American Horror Cinema.
For over 100 years, Creeps and freak have owned the silver screen. Do you know who the first one was?
- The 13 best witch movies ever, and of all time.
There was a time when witch were much more prevalent than they are now. With the vampire, zombie, and werewolf craze, some of these classics are easily overlooked. They are still fun even if they are harder to find.
- Vampire Movies-The 10 best.
These are a group of great movies to "suck up" before Halloween.
- The 10 best Creatures in the movies
Some are from the far reaches of outer space, others from the deep depths of the ocean, and others from the far depths of human imagination! Here are my favorite monsters from the movies.
- Werewolf Movies-The ten best-With a new werewolf quiz and videos!
Half man, half wolf, and all monster!
This was a different and very cool Vampire movie with an unlikely cast. Lucy Liu, Michael Chiklis, and Marilyn Manson, gel perfectly in this modern horror masterpiece. Read more or purchase the movie.
- The 10 best aliases from the movies!
Ever wonder how the movie writers come up with the great aliases they do? Here are the best!
- The ten best Werewolf Movies!
10 Awesome werewolf movies!
Remember those old shows that creeped you out or left you thinking? I do! Here are the best 13!
- The 12 best villains of all time!
Hollywood's best, I mean worst.
- The best supernatural and crazy murderers from the movies.
13 of the most evil beings ever! But hey, we love them anyway!
- The 13 best Ghosts from the movies.
A list of the best apparitions. Some are funny some are deadly, but all of these 13 are very cool ghouls!
- The 13 scariest movies ever! Now this has a scary Quiz and poll!
Check this list of the scariest flicks ever!
- The twelve best actors that play bad guys. read over 3,000 times
Here are the best actors to plays evil villains. Please check out my list of the best villains and best evil actresses.
In the early 1900s, Monsters were born!
In 1925 a legacy and an empire were born. Lon Chaney portrayed the menacing Phantom of the Opera. Then, The Universal Monster Craze began! Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, The Wolfman, and many others brought terror with them from the other side to the silver screen. Below is a time line and a description of the movies characters and actors. Tell me in the comment section which you like best!
The Movies- Here are some of the best and my favorites.
-Frankenstein 1931- An obscure Dr. obsessed with the secrets of life tries an unheard of experiment. It didn't go well! The story, acting, and suspense were outstanding. Karloff was excellent as the freak of nature and the rest of the cast made us believe. I give it 5 lighting bolts out of 5!
-Dracula 1931- A Hungarian actor with an evil smile, an irresistible charm, and a set of hand contortions the no one possessed, seduced movie goers in this thriller about the original bloodsucker and his followers. Bela was perfect and this masterpiece has been a tremendous influence over the decades! 4 1/2 bats out of 5
-The Mummy 1932- The evil Imhotep returns and exacts his revenge. Karloff plays another force to be reckoned with. This time he is already dead...what can be done? 4 tombs out of 5
-The Invisible Man 1933- Claude was excellent as always! This was creepy and kept me on the edge, as a Dr. discovered transparency....why didn't he teach that trick to the president?!? 4 1/2 footprints out of 5
-Bride of Frankenstein 1935- The monster has changed and wants what any mere mortal would want. This experiment didn't go well either! 4 1/2 out of 5 white hair streaks
-The Invisible Woman-1940- The secret is rediscovered and the world won't be the same! Though it is the least famous on my list, it was still startling! 4 out of 5 test tubes
-The Wolfman-1941- My favorite character! Larry Talbot, a good man becomes possessed by an evil force and wreaks fear and havoc where ever he goes. Invest in silver and do not watch this on a full moon! 5 out of 5 bites marks!
-Frankenstein meets the Wolfman1943- Lon Chaney Jr. and Bella Lugosi team up in this classic to end all classics.Bella's evil smile, Lon's desperation, and the lead up, make the show down unforgettable! I love it still today. 4 1/2 full moons out of 5
The movie list
- Dracula (1931)
- Dracula (Spanish version) (1931)
- Frankenstein (1931)
- The Mummy (1932)
- Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
- The Old Dark House (1932)
- The Invisible Man (1933)
- The Black Cat (1934)
- The Raven (1935)
- Werewolf of London (1935)
- Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
- Dracula's Daughter (1936)
- The Invisible Ray (1936)
- The Phantom Creeps (1939)
- Son of Frankenstein (1939)
- The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
- The Invisible Woman (1940)
- The Mummy's Hand (1940)
- Man Made Monster (1941)
- The Wolf Man (1941)
- The Black Cat (1941)
- The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
- Invisible Agent (1942)
- The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
- Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
- Phantom of the Opera (1943)
- Son of Dracula (1943)
- Captive Wild Woman (1943)
- The Mad Ghoul (1943)
- Calling Dr. Death (1943)
- Weird Woman (1944)
- Dead Man's Eyes (1944)
- The Climax (1944)
- House of Frankenstein (1944)
- The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)
- The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
- The Mummy's Curse (1944)
- House of Dracula (1945)
- The Frozen Ghost (1945)
- Strange Confession (1945)
- Pillow of Death (1945)
- House of Horrors (1946)
- The Brute Man (1946)
- She-Wolf of London (1946)
- Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein