jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Thoughts on Elvis Presley as an actor rather than a rock 'n' roll legend

1. KCC Big Country profile image87
    KCC Big Countryposted 9 years ago

Thoughts on Elvis Presley as an actor rather than a rock 'n' roll legend

2. profile image0
    Frugal Momposted 8 years ago

Personally, one of the reasons I loved Elvis as an actor is because he was such a genuine person. His lack of dramatic training never took away from his presence on the silver screen, it in fact added to it. He was very real, and very sincere. Just an all around good ole' fun loving southern boy! That alway shone through in his acting.

3. KCC Big Country profile image87
    KCC Big Countryposted 8 years ago

I very much agree with you Frugal Mom!  Elvis seemed very natural at acting. I feel that in his music he seemed more stressed, but passionate.

4. profile image0
    malloyemposted 8 years ago

I think the poor guy never got a decent script and died before we got to find out if he could really act or not. A real shame. You're only as good as the part they write for you-and poor Elvis never had much luck getting a meaty role.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

The only film of Elvis' that I thought he was excellent in was Kid Creole. It think it was his best role.

6. profile image0
    Miss Nomiposted 8 years ago

I can't say that I think his acting skills were all that good - which isn't to say he didn't have potential, nor does it change the fact that I love several of his movies.  My favorite Elvis flicks are It Happened at the World's Fair, A Change of Habit, Loving You, and Blue Hawaii - all of which I have on video cassette....he's so dreamy in all of them!

7. T_Augustus profile image61
    T_Augustusposted 8 years ago

I was only a kid, so I loved all of his movies because he was in them.

8. Mike Lickteig profile image85
    Mike Lickteigposted 8 years ago

I agree with malloyem.  Elvis seemed at ease in front of the camera, as many rockers-turned-actors do.  Obviously the material (i.e., movies) selected for him never gave him much of an opportunity to demonstrate whatever abilities he might have had, but I think if he were given a decent role, he might have shined in it. 

At his worst, he probably could have carved out an acting career in the manner Dean Martin did--not as second fiddle to Jerry Lewis (I guess he did okay there, also) but as a reliable cowboy in John Wayne or Frank Sinatra movies.  I'm not sure that makes him any more of an actor than "Viva Las Vegas" or "Girl Happy" did, but I think Elvis could have made a living for himself as an actor if he wanted or needed to.

9. profile image45
    holy cowposted 7 years ago

I say he was amazing at everything and he his not stressed out at all

working