jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can I tune my guitar on my computer?

1. profile image52
    dave_smithposted 8 years ago

Can I tune my guitar on my computer?

I've read your articles on connecting your guitar to a computer, and using Audacity to record music.  I have only recently purchased my guitar and I'm having trouble tuning it, I've tried online tuners and relative tuning, but I'm afraid I haven't got a very musical ear so I'm still not sure if it's right.  I was therefore wondering if I could tune it by connecting it to the PC.

I know my chords sound awful but I may be fouling the wrong strings with my fingers.  I should get proper lessons from someone who knows how to play, but I'm skint at the moment and just want to take it slowly.

2. DreidMusicalX profile image66
    DreidMusicalXposted 8 years ago

Yes you can tune you're guitar using you're computer. On my website I have a tuner called AP Guitar Tuner 1.02 version and its free when you join my site.

I help allot of people world wide and also do allot of music videos and lessons free. Always free advise to my members. Its free to join. With No Catches! I am a that just likes to help people because I never was helped by people like Mark Slaughter. lol! Don't believe me? As the people who know me. All 729 of them so far... and growing!

You will not be sorry you joined!

3. stratocarter profile image59
    stratocarterposted 7 years ago

Yes, you can tune your guitar on your computer!
    Here is the list of top 10 Online Guitar Tuners, so you can use them:

4. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

I think this has been pretty well answered at the moment, but I'll just add that many, if not most, recording interfaces include a tuning function, as do most guitar pedals.  Garage Band, for example, has a built in tuner function you can turn on or off.

Some of the other issues mentioned in the original question can be helped with a program such as Garage Band or Audacity, too, since listening to one's playing is really important.  Practice is all about bringing the reality closer to the desired sound, and it's a little easier, sometimes, to concentrate on the reality if you don't have to simultaneously play!  So, recording yourself can really help.

As to the issue of wonky-sounding guitar chords, it may sound overly obvious, but few folks seem to think of this on their own:  play the chord one string at a time, not in one solid strum.  That way, if you are inadvertently muting a string by an incorrectly-placed finger (easy to do!) you can tell which string it is, and figure out where that finger needs to be.

For my thoughts on practice techniques, you can see my Hubs:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Not-To-Prac … y-Part-One

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Not-To-Prac … y-Part-Two