So which band was better, The Beatles or The Stones?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. jj200 profile image65
    jj200posted 13 years ago

So which band was better, The Beatles or The Stones?

Oft asked, frequently analyzed, never proven, this question deserves more characters than you can fit into an Answer window.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

It don't think either one was better, their music was different and each is great in its own way.

3. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

are you  talking about 'better' or 'like', often people confuse the terms and presume that because they like something it is better. the Beatles and the Stones are both good, they are different and one isn't better than the other. I like them both and I think they are both good.
    I like the Sex Pistols, but I know they are not good; I dislike Bach, but I know his music is excellent.

4. Mike Lickteig profile image77
    Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

If both bands broke up in 1970 and had a similar period of time to develop a body of work, I would opt for the Beatles.  With an extra 40 years of work, it's hard to dismiss the Rolling Stones. 

Because I can listen to any Beatles song (not just classic hits) more easily than I can listen to any Rolling Stones song, I would personally give the nod to the Beatles.  As Uninvited Writer suggests, however, each band is great in its own way.

5. saddlerider1 profile image58
    saddlerider1posted 13 years ago

My first band choice would be the Beatles, although I am a fan of both. I grew up around both groups, saw the Beatles perform live in Montreal in 64 at the Montreal Forum. Both groups had diversity in music, over the years changes took place and I would have to say that the Beatles music culture had a huge impact on the cannabis followers and I was truly one of them. I can't tell you how many HIGH times I enjoyed listening to the songs the Beatles created. The Stones are most definitely my second choice, but neither one of these groups can be put side by side, they are so vastly different. I am so glad I grew up in the sixties to have enjoyed their music and live in it. I slip a CD every other day of both these groups into my player and reflect to a time when life was simple as I close my eyes and enjoy two groups that inspired me.

6. telltale profile image60
    telltaleposted 13 years ago

Personally, I like The Beatles... aware that both bands play different types of music, somehow, could not get adapted to The Rolling Stones music, although I do like one or two of their songs like "Ruby Tuesday"... purely a preference, on my part..

7. jj200 profile image65
    jj200posted 13 years ago

Hey all, I was actually asking this question of a particular person, I'm not sure how it works, but I guess anyone can answer. I used "better" because it can be interpreted literally, as in "the better talented band" or in a more subjective manner, as in "the better band to listen to, in your opinion." To use "like" would have limited the breadth of possible responses. I was aiming for giving more room for interpretation as to what "better" means and hoping the person's answer would include a qualifier, and not just cop out by saying they are different and that both are good, no offense. I was just hoping to spark some discussion on it and hear what people think of the merits of each band and why.
    I love both bands, I've listened to more of the Beatles, but I think that the Rolling Stones were better because they were seemingly unfiltered in their song writing. Both the loose style and the diversity of subject matter that often entered the realm of the moody and dark. They had gusto and swagger that I don't think the Beatles had. More rock, less pop, perhaps.

8. nifty@50 profile image67
    nifty@50posted 13 years ago

Score board goes to they Beatles, Money, girls going nuts , I prefer the Stone their music is more raw Bad ass rock and roll.

9. Torch Harrison profile image69
    Torch Harrisonposted 13 years ago

Oh wow.  That's a toughie.  The Beatles were more creative...but the Stones were more down to earth and raw.  Both were or are among the best groups ever created.

10. Walkster profile image61
    Walksterposted 13 years ago

If this is based on sales and chart postions that's easy the Beatles win hands down. From a personal standpoint i like them both and where would music be without both their contributions!

11. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

In terms of the quality of the material in the overall catalogue of each group, I would have to go with The Beatles. They crossed lines and continued to sell records that were well-known.  The vast majority of their albums contain original song groupings whereas the Rolling Stones have been known to recycle songs multiple times on to various albums.  Now, for selected material and a rock n' roll mood, I gotta go with The Stones...give me "Start Me Up" anytime, anywhere. That's one hot lick! Thanks. WB

12. JonnyBRock profile image59
    JonnyBRockposted 13 years ago

I love the Rolling Stones --- but I still do not hesitate for even a second in saying The Beatles. I am a Beatles freak.

13. puebloman profile image61
    pueblomanposted 13 years ago

If you like white middle class college boys playing black blues, its the Stones. If you like art school boys trying to sound like they're Americans, the Beatles of course.

14. gg.zaino profile image71
    gg.zainoposted 13 years ago

both equally as good in their own right. the stones reaction to social issues became evident in a different form than the beatles. The beatles took a peaceful approach of love and tolerance  where the stones almost became the anti hero band and didn't mind getting their fists bloodied. good vs bad boys images...
    this can't be answered with just a quick offhand generalization. it's in the eye and ears of the the beholder no?

15. kashmir56 profile image77
    kashmir56posted 13 years ago

I'm a fan of both but I like the Beatles the best, I never get tired of playing their music, I need a daily fix of Beatles music !

16. cookie8888 profile image68
    cookie8888posted 13 years ago

Both bands are phenomenal, but personally, I would have to go with The Beatles.  The music throughout The Beatles' career is very diverse.  I thoroughly enjoy this quality about their music.

17. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

Great music is usually a matter of opinion. . . .especially with regards to age groups, and a trillion other factors. . .but I have to say that the Beatles were more influential, on a macro level-with regards to the whole culture of mankind, and not just the States, and those Islands across the pond.

18. CaravanHolidays profile image61
    CaravanHolidaysposted 12 years ago

I have to admit that Arthur Lee's 'Love' were a better band than both of them put together.  All three bands came out of the same era, but only one of them was truly innovative

19. Tim Quam profile image61
    Tim Quamposted 11 years ago

First of all I like them both.  And I feel that when you're comparing the two you're talking about two of the greatest songwriting collaborations ever.  But I like the Beatles over the Rolling Stones.  Just look at the many indelible songs they left on the pop landscape over just nine years of recording.  In 1973, three years after their breakup, the Beatles released two huge volumes of presumably their best work on two two-vynil-disk sets, commonly referred to as the Red and Blue albums.  This is what Beatle fans were waiting for because some of their most famous songs were released as singles but weren't originally included as part of an album.  That being said, here's my list of memorable Beatle tracks that didn't make the Red and Blue collections: Birthday, Dear Prudence, For No One, Got to Get You Into My Life, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I Will, Julia, Oh! Darling, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, She's Leaving Home, and When I'm Sixty-Four.  My point is they were prolific.  And they were a great studio band.  They chose to be.  They stopped touring in 1966 and became strictly studio artists.  This led to great creativity, beginning with the album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)