jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What does it take to be a standup comedian?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 7 years ago

What does it take to be a standup comedian?

2. Jaggedfrost profile image79
    Jaggedfrostposted 7 years ago

Timing, practice, cultural and political observation skills, a developing vocabulary, a tolerance for cigarette smoke, a willingness to travel, a few occurrence of being booed off the stage that you take the trouble to learn from, its an interesting path to take.  One comedian told me that there is a lot of money to be had in corporate entertainment as well.

3. profile image0
    djChengposted 7 years ago

Practice, practice, practice. Gotta be able to take the negatives in your life and also in the world - flip it around and make it funny. (as Katt Williams says) You've got to be able to relate to people - sometimes a certain crowd will automatically come to you, but to be a successful comedian all-around, you must be able to come up with topics that anyone can relate to.

4. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 7 years ago

I'm not a professional, but, I do know a few people who do comedy routines and MC at clubs. They pretty much perform for a target audience, and, rarely do anything considered mainstream. But, they do make money doing what they do.

I think it is very cool to see that some of these guys have made quite a name for themselves. I actually got on stage and sang in front of about 200 people a couple months ago, and I was nervous as hell.

I think I would be more at ease doing comedy, then singing.
    But, I sometimes wonder if I would be better as a writer, than actually getting on stage and making a total ass of myself.
    But, you never know how people will react.

5. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

You have to at least have legs.  You can get by with one but standup is easier with two.

6. profile image50
    watson mariaposted 5 years ago

I only know about Graham Jolley who is the entertainer, magician and illusionist for all type of event in the UK. For getting more details about Graham Jolley visit mindreader.co.uk