jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When Aflred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS was first released in theatres, did it appear

1. profile image46
    cjmartin69posted 7 years ago

When Aflred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS was first released in theatres, did it appear in black&white...

When Aflred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS was first released in theatres, did it appear in black&white or technicolor?

2. girlincape profile image77
    girlincapeposted 7 years ago

It's tough to say for sure, but according to IMDB.com its format is "color (Technicolor)" (not sure what that says about original format). Also my dad says he is pretty sure that it was in color when he saw it in theaters. As a matter of fact, all of the clips and trailers I can find show it in color. Did you ever see it in black and white?

3. bjspivey-rivers profile image72
    bjspivey-riversposted 7 years ago

I remember when it was in black and white.  I think they colorized it later.  Black and white seemed scarier.

4. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

It was always in color I believe - I think people are thinking of the wizard of Oz when Kansas was in B&W - that too was in color also - just the Kansas shots were in B&W

5. MystMoonstruck profile image80
    MystMoonstruckposted 6 years ago

I saw it in the theater when I was about 12 years old. It ALWAYS has been in color! For one thing, colorization is a relatively recent thing. Before that, they had to hand-color frames if they needed color.

From IMDb: Color (Technicolor)
    Here's the original movie trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjaVdJt59U

I have to add that Alfred Hitchcock was as much a master of color as he was of b&w.

working