jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

can you Name the notes in the diminished 7th chord in its 2nd inversion in the k

1. profile image46
    Kaneinposted 7 years ago

can you Name the notes in the diminished 7th chord in its 2nd inversion in the key of Gb Major....

Name the notes and its accidentals only

2. BennyTheWriter profile image74
    BennyTheWriterposted 7 years ago

Are you talking about a G Flat diminished-seventh chord? 

If so, the first inversion notes are G flat, A natural, C natural, E flat.   The second inversion would therefore be: A natural, C natural, E flat, G flat.   I might be wrong, but I think I'm correct.  : )

3. lt86 profile image56
    lt86posted 7 years ago

I agree with the previous answer in terms of the actual notes of the chord.

However I think if the key is Gb major then the names of the notes much change to be Bbb(=A), Dbb(=C), Fb(=E), Gb

4. Jon Green profile image90
    Jon Greenposted 7 years ago

Why would you want to? All you need is four notes, each three semitones apart, to make a dim chord.

5. profile image46
    Kaneinposted 7 years ago

to Jon Green I need the answer because i do Not know what it is and it is important for the project i am working on

6. Doc Snow profile image98
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

I imagine it's too late for the original purpose now, but the correct answer is this.

1)  Technically, it's a trick question, as there isn't a diatonic diminished seventh chord in any major key; the dim7 chord's natural habitat is the minor mode.

2)  However, it's long been common to use dim7s in major, so we'll presume that the most common case--where the chord is built on scale degree 7--is what's intended here.

3)  Scale degree 7 in Gb would be F.  So, building a 7th chord on F gives us F-Ab-Cb-Eb.  However, that isn't a dim7; it's a half-diminished 7th instead.  (Sometimes this is referred to as a "minor-7-flat-5.")  So you have to lower the Eb to Ebb ("E double flat.")  The chord spelled out:  F-Ab-Cb-Ebb.

4)  Second inversion means that the fifth of the chord (Cb) is in the bass.  The order of the chord tones above that doesn't affect inversion.

working