jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you have a favorite Folk Music style or artist?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image82
    Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago

Do you have a favorite Folk Music style or artist?

2. Hannah Renowden profile image55
    Hannah Renowdenposted 7 years ago

Hi Ken!

I actually got into folk music after buying a copy of Word Magazine that was giving away a free folk cd, about 10 years ago now!.  This cd opened up this genre to me.  On it I discovered Nick Drake, John Martyn, The Fairport Convention, and then of course, Sandy Denny. 

Before this I had been listening to Pentangle and Bert Jansch a bit because my parents listened to them.  But after getting the cd I was desperate for as much folk as I could get so snaffled my parents' cds!

I like all the honey dripped folk of the 60s and 70s like Vashti Bunyon, who is having a bit of a revival thanks to the marvelous Joanna Newsom who I believed played on a recent Bunyon album. 

Alot of folky people I know dont tend to like much Fairport Convention apart from 'Leige & Leaf', claiming the "rock" element puts them off a bit.  But I can't get enough of Denny's voice, she has such a pure folk timbre you can imagine her weaving around cornfields in the days of yore!

At the moment I am enjoying the likes of Laura Marling, Mumford and Sons, Fionn Regan and Scott Matthews.  All these acts I feel have that "true folk", instrumental sound, and thier lyrics are very story based, dark and whimsical.  Often with a sting in the tail (or should that be tale?)!

But to anyone getting into folk I always recommend Pentangles 'Basket of Light', Fairport Conventions 'Leige & Leaf' and any album by Nick Drake or John Martyn.

3. ahorseback profile image61
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Mine would be Gordon Lightfoot, his style of music is timeless , I believe he is the greatest folk singer  and musician of our time.

4. Boreal profile image58
    Borealposted 7 years ago

Yes! My favorites change over time, but for a while now my favorite folk stuff has been a toss up between Iron & Wine, Northcote, and The Wooden Sky