jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)

Who gains from forgiveness?

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 7 years ago

Who gains from forgiveness?

2. Therapistwitch profile image56
    Therapistwitchposted 7 years ago

That would depend on who is seeking forgiveness and if it was given with an open heart.

3. Genna East profile image92
    Genna Eastposted 7 years ago

I would think everyone invovled.  If it is genuine, it can heal wounds and open the heart.

4. HumanPerception profile image93
    HumanPerceptionposted 7 years ago

Both the person seeking forgiveness and the forgiver will gain from it. The person seeking the forgiveness will feel good knowing he has acknowledged he needed to do this, and then done it. To be forgiven is a heart-warming feeling, and can be bonding between the two people. The forgiver will feel good knowing he has had the decency to forgive the person, and will also feel some sort of connection with the person. Forgiveness is a beautiful thing; which everyone benefits from. It has a power; to heal, to connect, and to spread love.

5. FaithDream profile image80
    FaithDreamposted 7 years ago

Both parties gain but I would say the person doing the forgiving gains much more. The act of forgiveness takes courage and it releases the hold over the person doing the forgiving. The person being forgiven may chose to continue to act badly.
    It doesn't always change the person being forgiven, but it does change the forgiver.
    Good question.

6. profile image56
    rieomposted 7 years ago

The one to gain from forgiveness is the one who gives the forgiveness.  It is always better to give than to receive.

7. rocknrollcowboy profile image72
    rocknrollcowboyposted 7 years ago

Everyone gains from forgiveness. If you are the forgiver than you show that you care, have compassion, and are a bigger person, willing to grow and learn from your experiences.

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

I believe that both the one who forgives and the one who is forgiven benefits.  Being able to forgive releases a huge burden on the psyche.  And being forgiven releases us from guilt that may have been holding us down.

9. maria.rose profile image35
    maria.roseposted 7 years ago

Both are gains - In order for full forgiveness, the other party should give you some form of confirmation about it. This way both party can put down the past and move forward together.

10. Amy Lee profile image56
    Amy Leeposted 7 years ago

Both of the two parties gain from the forgiveness, for the one who forgive others. In fact it is difficult to forgive others, forgivenss make all of them released.

11. ThunderKeys profile image65
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

The entire world benefits from a single act of genuine forgiveness. ....

12. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

it depends on what is being forgiven. if it was a mistake then everyone gains. if a person harmed another purposely and they are forgiven, then only they gain.

13. vinner profile image76
    vinnerposted 7 years ago

surely both benefits. As it is a quality of humans only it is very important

14. DeathStroke profile image39
    DeathStrokeposted 7 years ago

neither gain it really depends on how bad the person what you to forgive them and the offense is. Like for cheating for example, if your gf cheated on you and then wanted you to forgive her how are you benefiting from it? Your basically inviting her back because you love her but there's always that reason of trust. Forgiveness is one thing, but trust is another thing it will be hard to rebuild trust and the relationship might fall back out.

15. YuBeKillingEm profile image53
    YuBeKillingEmposted 7 years ago

Both, will gain! I've always heard that forgivens is for the other person. I believe this. It takes courage! Holding anger, sadness, or another emotion can damage you.

16. doglover7 profile image59
    doglover7posted 7 years ago

I believe the person giving forgiveness gains the most because bitterness and anger only make you miserable. Remember that just because you forgive someone doesn't mean you allow them to be in your life any more. You can forgive someone and not have anything to do with them if you don't feel they have changed or will enrich your life. Doesn't it feel wonderful when someone forgives you when you make a mistake?

17. scoobydeb profile image76
    scoobydebposted 7 years ago

Forgiveness is overrated. There are simply some people in my life that don't deserve my forgiveness. Not forgiving them hasn't created this huge burden nor give the other person any power over me. I don't want these people in my life! It's entirely possible to not forgive someone and continue to have a wonderful, happy life without them.

18. Eric Prado profile image76
    Eric Pradoposted 7 years ago

Both parties gain from forgiveness. Forgiveness is a very powerful force that has hold on all of us. Once you forgive, you show your inner humanity and once you're forgiven, you are released of the negative karma induced by the incident in question.

19. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

depends on the situation sometimes the only one who gains anyhing is the pearson who is forgiving