jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

To clarify my answer to obtaining photos from sites.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image85
    LuisEGonzalezposted 7 years ago

To clarify my answer to obtaining photos from sites.

I never meant to use private sites!
    1. Images that are on government sites, like www.usparks/everglades.org are free to use by anyone.
    2. By sites I also understood (by mistake perhaps) that she meant on public property..ie in front of the White House, in which case anything that is in public view (can be seen by the public form the street,etc) can be used.

2. simeonvisser profile image85
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

I see now that the confusion arose from the word "site" which can mean "website" but also a location. For public buildings and locations you're right I think. I understood the question to be about photos taken from an online (web)site, not a tourist location. If the question was about a tourist website and you answered that 'Anything that is within public view is a "free for all",' then that would clearly not be true.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image85
    LuisEGonzalezposted 7 years ago

To expand the answer,
    Any public( government owned or administered) tourist location(site),any government owned or administered web site, or any public office holder for that matter, can have a photo taken/downloaded and used without permission or restrictions.

This does apply if the location is clearly labeled (in at least three places) as sensitive and or restricted, or of the inside of the location or when a sensitive activity is taking place.

Hope this helps.

4. cascoly profile image59
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

not quite - some landmarks, even public ones have limits, and rules vary in different countries - eg, at one time many countries didnt allow pictures of train stations.

working