jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How come in movie sex scenes no one ever uses a condom?

1. tHErEDpILL profile image87
    tHErEDpILLposted 6 years ago

How come in movie sex scenes no one ever uses a condom?

2. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

That's a good question.  Even the sight of a condom wrapper or of someone opening one would be great.

3. JGoul profile image60
    JGoulposted 6 years ago

I think there's two reasons...  When you're building up a romantic fantasy of the most incredible, intimate sexual experience, you're probably not thinking about using a condom.  Since movies aren't real, they're free to just reenact fantasy, rather than mimic reality.

As I think about it, it's the romantic scenes, or at least the scenes where the experience is portrayed in a very positive light, where condoms aren't used.  I believe condoms are used in both Superbad and 40 Days and 40 Days Nights.  40 Days and 40 Nights is particularly informative:  as I recall, the main character uses a condom in a meaningless and ultimately unfulfilling encounter early in the movie, but isn't shown using one in the romantic scene at the end.

Another reason (or the response you might hear from a director) might be that they don't show the characters NOT using a condom, so they are simply avoiding focusing on the more prosaic aspects of the encounter.

4. Ken Barton profile image58
    Ken Bartonposted 6 years ago

Hollywood has never been too keen on representing healthy life styles in the past; so, not seeing much going on today is no surprise.

5. Monisajda profile image74
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

In "Naked Gun" there is a condom, a huge gigantic condom...

6. SuccessfromHome profile image73
    SuccessfromHomeposted 6 years ago

Don't use condoms for population control....just kidding

working