jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I'm a song writer and I want to know how to copyright my lyrics-..Anyone know?

1. Kirst Lou profile image60
    Kirst Louposted 6 years ago

I'm a song writer and I want to know how to copyright my lyrics-..Anyone know?

2. DarkSinistar profile image87
    DarkSinistarposted 6 years ago

Legally speaking, what you need to do is register your works as copyright actually exists from the time you put the lyrics into a physical form. You can do this online with the Copyright Office. and I could give you the direct link for registration, but you should really read the information before trying to register your works.

Go here for a summary of copyright and how it works:
    http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

You will find instructions for online registration on page 7 of this document.

Another option would be to register your works with the Writers Guild of America. While less expensive, the registration is only good for five years at which point you would need to renew the registration and pay another fee. But WGA registration is just as strong from a legal standpoint as registering with the Copyright Office, so if budget is a consideration, this might be the better option.

Information on WGA Registry can be found here:
    http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/

Things like mailing a copy to yourself or having a copy notarized are not considered protection of your copyright and serve little purpose, so do not let anyone convince you otherwise.

3. RedElf profile image87
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Register your copyright; protect your creative property; How do you prove the ownership of something you have created? What can writers, composers, and artists do to protect their works? read more

4. Kirst Lou profile image60
    Kirst Louposted 6 years ago

Thank you guys, someone told me that I could mail it to myself but I didn't think that would be much good to me any more.

The links are great. You guys are awesome!

5. profile image47
    ranwel2posted 5 years ago

Yes...just go to copyright.gov/ and they will walk you thru this...

working