jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is your favorite news source; Internet, News Paper, Or Television?

1. Allen Williams profile image83
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

What is your favorite news source; Internet, News Paper, Or Television?

If the Internet, what web site?  If the News Paper, what paper is it?  If Television, what station or network is it?

2. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

Hi, Allen Williams!

My favorite "news" source are books on history and political economy. The problem with news -- and this is a fundamental structural problem I think -- is that we don't get any historical context with which to understand the information overload we are subjected to. The news can only interact with an event as it explodes on to the scene -- when something dramatic happens.

The trajectory the news takes is forward, never backward in any significant sense. The result is, that is millions of people ONLY get their knowledge of the world from the news media, you have millions of people who CANNOT possibly know what they are talking about on a whole range of issues, I'm afraid.

You have to read books by good experts in history and political economy to make sense of the information feed; that's just all there is to it, in my view. Give yourself historical context and then the precise source one turns to for the information feed becomes of marginal significance, in my view.

Having said all that, I am willing to recommend an alternative progressive radio station called WBAI, 99.5 on the FM dial. I listen to that every day, day and night.

3. Alecia Murphy profile image78
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

I like the Internet because I can peruse a variety of sources for information rather than just one. And also wingedcentaur made a great point about not knowing the historical context, but I think the internet is a great way to help curb that problem. You can look up something your not familiar with as opposed to television. And the paper is slowly dying because most people (especially my generation) is seeing less of a point in getting news from something that's only updated once every 24 hours, on paper, and isn't fully current with it's information.

4. sfcowgirrl profile image60
    sfcowgirrlposted 6 years ago

Fox News.. the only news I trust because their stories can be backed up by proof!

5. shwetha123 profile image74
    shwetha123posted 6 years ago

For me its aol.com and allthingsd.com are the sites from where i can get all the news updates from around the world.

6. Robin Oatley profile image71
    Robin Oatleyposted 6 years ago

Definitely the internet. I do also occasionally watch the news or read a newspaper (at someone else's house or a free one in public transport) when I've got nothing to do. However, when I'm on my computer, I check some news sites every now and then, and I'm able to search for additional explanation and backgrounds if something is not clear.
    Alecia is right in saying that newspapers are dying, unless they can make the transition into being a good and reliable news site. These times, people don't have the patience to read newspapers (although they are able to read all sorts of things on the internet, with our hubs among them!)

7. HERBERT ubaldo profile image58
    HERBERT ubaldoposted 6 years ago

I always prefer television, it's all there you are watching and hearing the news.

working