Do you still read a daily newspaper of how do you get your news?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (25 posts)
  1. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

Do you still read a daily newspaper of how do you get your news?

Newspapers are in trouble. Many people have dropped subscriptions, advertising is down with the recession and slow recovery. So, do you watch TV for news, go to internet sites, magazines or just ignore the day to day happenings on the local and world scene? Do you question your news sources? FOX news is biased to the right, some say CBS to the left.
    I read newspapers, and listen to NPR locally and nationally for 2 or more hours per day. I guess HP is not my only addiction.

2. DFiduccia profile image75
    DFiducciaposted 11 years ago

I watch TV infrequently, and I spend most of my time writing with Word, so when I take a break from working on a manuscript, I usually check the internet for the latest news. I don’t see a favorable future for newspapers.

3. mwilliams66 profile image61
    mwilliams66posted 11 years ago

I too dropped my subscription.   I watch a bit of tv for the news, but agree that there are biased stations.  I feel most comfortable with BBC and NPR radio.

4. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

Do they still print newspapers? As I get older, I try to avoid as much news as possible.  You might think I'm kidding, but seriously, I'm not.  I find too much news just causes me stress and I really don't want to know most of it anyway, especially if it doesn't impact my life directly.  I keep up with what's going on in the world online and sometimes TV, but I take it all with several grains of salt and of course, it's all biased in one way or another. I haven't touched a newspaper or magazine in ages.

xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My wife shares your view of the news as stress enhancing, but I just have to know. I probably suffer from info overload.

5. Kaili Bisson profile image96
    Kaili Bissonposted 11 years ago

Great question. There are so many ways to get daily news. I like to listen to the radio first thing in the morning for weather, traffic etc. I subscribe to two dailies; one national and one local. I don't read every word in both, but like them both for different reasons. My national paper is a little further to the right of the spectrum, and the local one is decidedly more left. I also like the local one for "what's on" in terms of movies, plays, dining etc. For me anyway, there is still something that just feels good about holding a book or newspaper in my hands  :-)

Yes! I like the tactile quality as well.

6. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 11 years ago

No printed newspaper. I get a lot of my news through Twitter and certain websites. I also listen to our local TV news broadcast. Sometimes I watch national TV news for the pictures--I'm a very visual type person. Yes, I think I am adicted to some of these, like you; wanting a lot of information. smile

7. Suhail and my dog profile image79
    Suhail and my dogposted 11 years ago

I dropped my subscription two years ago, because we get Metro News free of cost while boarding commute trains to Toronto for work and also evening additions while returning homes. However, I have stopped reading that paper as well. Now, I get my news from the internet.

But I see many fellow commuters reading their newspapers, while I read a book :-)

8. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

msn.com usually. It is my homepage and always shows me interesting news. And on Sundays, I always read through the paper.

9. cattleships profile image68
    cattleshipsposted 11 years ago

My wife and I moved to a small town in N. Georgia in December last year. Since moving here we have begun taking the weekly newspaper called the North Georgia News which is delivered free to residents. We look forward to getting our copy every week for local news and events.

Before moving, I rarely read a newspaper. I stopped watching the news on TV. And I questioned everything I saw on the Internet. I began to read books; lots and lots of books. I began to realize that the "news" wasn't real anymore; actually, hasn't been real since J P Morgan and crew bought the "policies" of the 30 largest newspapers back in the 1920's via a monthly stipend... so it wouldn't "make" news. I have absolutely no use for propaganda nor do I take kindly to being steered by the "news". I do my own research. I am keenly aware of my surroundings always. And I watch for results and outcomes, which tell me more than any newspaper, TV or Internet sight could hope to.

Good question.

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I still read the paper and I'll tell everyone the trick to getting the real news out of it and how to avoid all the nonsense and fluff. First, you pick up the paper and remove the money/business section and read it. Next, you throw the rest of the paper in the garbage (unless your wife wants the coupons). That's how you get the real news of the world and the country: Read the money/business section. It's better than NPR.

11. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

I get much of my news from tv and Internet but I still read the newspaper.  We, too, have a local paper and it helps keep us current with what's going on in our county.  Of course it contains national and international news but I read it more for the local news.  Like anything else, it's a bit biased and sometimes has spelling errors (among others) but the obits are there and coverage of area events as well.

We have a pretty good local paper that has been around a long time, but it is shrinking in size (literally) and weight as well. I keep getting these great offers for then NY Times delvered on Friday, Sat & Sunday and have to fight myself.

12. joanwz profile image81
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

I read the Sunday paper. Partly because I like the Sunday paper and enjoy taking my time with it over a cup of coffee. And partly because of the coupons.

13. YenzDaSynthKiller profile image60
    YenzDaSynthKillerposted 11 years ago

Sorry xstatic, I Only read the newspaper for a job hunt or for classifieds.

Funny thing is that Craigslist has become a place where many employers now advertise more than in newspapers.

14. vikkijov profile image61
    vikkijovposted 11 years ago

I subscribe to my local newspaper but my main reason is for grocery store flyers, department store inserts in which I quickly read while eating lunch or dinner,   I find my time is limited for sitting down enjoying the newspaper anymore. I am in the car frequently so listen to the car radio and get the news there.  I also subscribe to news alerts from CNN and my local ABC to try and keep me informed!

15. JSParker profile image80
    JSParkerposted 11 years ago

Thanks for asking.  I thought I better weight in as we may be among the few who still read newspapers.  We subscribe to the daily and Sunday editions of The New York Times, The Detroit Free Press, and our city's weekly tabloid.  In addition, we read parts of the online additions.

We also read Time Magazine, This Week, and The New Yorker; watch PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS, and MSNBC; and listen to NPR and a little bit of local AM news radio.

Outstanding! I am a New Yorker fan too, and an NPR addict, along with some poetry journals.

16. dwachira profile image77
    dwachiraposted 11 years ago

Hoorray! it is digital world, everything seems digital, even news are digital...including newspapers. When you spend over 8 hours sitting in front of a computer certainly newspapers and most of prints become history.

17. tipstoretireearly profile image79
    tipstoretireearlyposted 11 years ago

I still love reading the newspaper.  Its great for following local events.  Its also fun to read random stories that are directly in front of you even though you never would have thought to search for them online.

18. eric2112 profile image70
    eric2112posted 11 years ago

I get most of my news on Pulse news reader for Android. It's convenient because I can get all of my news in the same place and has several dozen sources for topics.

I can get Wall Street Journal, Engadget, Popular Science and TONS of Android news.

I haven't touched an actual newspaper in years.

19. wingedcentaur profile image65
    wingedcentaurposted 11 years ago

Hi xstatic! What's happening?

Just to put my two cents in, let me say that I actually focus my efforts to get a grip on world politics, by reading books to put events into a long historical context, which is sorely absent from the so-called 'analysis' of the chattering classes. I find the 'news,' in general, to be uncontextualized, random, unconnected facts, which are obviously open to 'spin,' of course.

We need to give the 'news' a break, in my opinion, slow down, pull back, and hit the libraries and bookstores, and reflect more. Only then can we develop some kind of wisdom and understanding to go along with our 'information overload.'

20. RichardPac profile image80
    RichardPacposted 11 years ago

I don't read the newspaper in newspaper format per se, but I do go to my local paper's website for local information. My wife and I subscribe to the Sunday edition for the coupons only. We wind up recycling the rest or adding it into my compost pile for a "brown layer" smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)