jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)

Do you listen to music in a language that you don't understand?

1. Borsia profile image46
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

Do you listen to music in a language that you don't understand?

Having lived in countries where I don't speak the language and having friends from others I often listen to music in languages where I either understand very little or nothing at all. Chinese, Russian, German and Spanish to name a few.
    Do you listen to foreign music just because you like the sound?

2. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

I love Latin music and Operas from Austria. I don't understand them but love them very much.

3. Alecia Murphy profile image79
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

No, I couldn't deal not knowing what's being said. The meaning of songs has a lot to due with why I listen to them.

4. lobobrandon profile image91
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

I love Spanish and Mexican even though I understand not a word

5. marriedwithdebt profile image75
    marriedwithdebtposted 6 years ago

Yes. I sometimes listen to Manu Chao, Seu Jorge and the Buena Vista Social Club. I know a few phrases, but that is all. Sometimes the power of the music is stronger than the lyrics.

6. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

All the time. To me, there's something compelling, mysterious and engaging about music in other languages. The melodies are enhanced, and the vocal nuances take front and center. If the singing is particularly good, the story will still be very clear. This is particularly true for music with a dramatic arc, such as classical opera.

7. brittanytodd profile image93
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

Yes, I don't understand enough Hawaiian to say I know what I'm singing about sometimes.  I also listen to a lot of Ceu, who speaks Portuguese.

8. fritzgoesrawrr profile image60
    fritzgoesrawrrposted 6 years ago

Yes I listen to music even though I can't understand the language of it. If the rhythm of the music seems beautiful for my ears I would listen to it. smile Sometimes I search for a translation of a song I didn't understand. smile

9. Shanaaya profile image60
    Shanaayaposted 6 years ago

yes... i don't understand Arabic language but i do listen to Arabic songs.. i have now learned a few words and their meanings while listening to those songs..

10. Jilliant11 profile image58
    Jilliant11posted 6 years ago

I have always been a meta/rock/classic rock kinda girl.  I love singing along and jamming out, even doing the ole bob n weave in the car....yeah, I'm that girl.  When I was young, my choir instructor made us sing Mozart's Requiem for a competition.  Since then, I have an appreciation classical, baroque, opera and the like, but I never really listen to it.  Then I heard an opera piece in a movie of all places and immediately fell in love with it.  The movie was Hannibal.  I challenge anyone and everyone to listen to this and tell me by the end of it that you're not moved... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOe2ubqeHec

11. Daisy Mariposa profile image87
    Daisy Mariposaposted 6 years ago

I listen to opera recordings, many of which are written in Italian or German. I don't read, write, or speak either language.

12. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Yeah, for sure.  Music is a universal language in its own rite.  Spanish, Zulu, Hindi, Tamil, Portuguese, Italian, etc.  It's great to expand your horizons.

13. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

Definitely.  Half the time, I can hardly understand the lyrics of singers who do speak my own language.

14. THEHuG5 profile image60
    THEHuG5posted 6 years ago

Absolutely! I love listening to music in Korean and Japanese. I love how the language sounds when it is sung.

15. Matt Clooney profile image60
    Matt Clooneyposted 6 years ago

It would never occur to me to listen to music in another language, but Opera seems to be the exception to that

16. samanthamayer profile image71
    samanthamayerposted 6 years ago

Although I know Spanish and can understand Italian to an extent due to similarities, I largely cannot understand Italian music. However, I do listen to a lot of Italian artists because I think the language just sounds beautiful. Good question!

17. infoforum profile image68
    infoforumposted 6 years ago

Yes often I do.  Like its very pleasing to listen to some arabic song!

working