jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are teens viewing reality TV differently than adults?

1. Crochetliens profile image75
    Crochetliensposted 6 years ago

Are teens viewing reality TV differently than adults?

Do you think teens are looking to reality tv stars as role models, while we as aduts see them as train wrecks?

2. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

I certainly don't see reality TV stars as role models and I'm a teen. I think some teens do though, some more than others.

3. Jeromeo profile image60
    Jeromeoposted 6 years ago

Role models, life styles to be adopted, behavior to be imitated, down to the last stupid nuance.  But this is what sells in the commercial broadcast market, and since free enterprise is considered to be of more value than human life, this is what we get.

We invite these train wrecks into our homes and they become part of our family and part of our lives.

If we would unify, we could control what our children are exposed to; simply by our consumer choices. 

When we effect sales, we effect a company's promise to the banks, they borrow from, to create new profit at a specific rate/quarter by quarter, when they don't make it , it raises the rates at which they have to borrow money and their standing on the...Stock Market.   

But back to the question.

Our kids just think the whole Reality TV thing is cool.  While we see the hidden danger of adopting these Jerry Springer spin-offs as acceptable teen-age-social-education tools.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I don't know about teens, specificaly, but I do know that in the canteen where I last worked, when all the women, young and old, gathered around the table having there lunch, there was a constant descussion relating too -' I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here, Big Brother, or whatever junk was on the telly at that time.
    I also noticed a habit of living their lives like their favourite soap stars, even quoting them for certain situations.
    I think the phrase - lies dressed up as life - comes to mind

5. RachaelLefler profile image95
    RachaelLeflerposted 6 years ago

I didn't. When I was in high school, what was big was Paris Hilton and I pretty much saw her as a sad, spoiled, shallow girl who couldn't do any real work to save her life. The show she had was basically more about how she was a train wreck than about worshipping her.

6. profile image53
    humnababposted 4 years ago

no i think they are looking role model to movies star