jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Earl Scruggs has died - Do you recognize his significance?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Earl Scruggs has died - Do you recognize his significance?

Earl Scruggs recently passed away.  Before and even during his lifetime - less educated sorts of persons universally denigrated Southern and Appalachian culture, and they used the Banjo to always make fun of Appalachian peoples.

Who else can be considered a virtuoso musician that plays the five string banjo?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6433673_f260.jpg

2. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

The greatest progressive blue-grass banjo player of all time--bar none. Don't let the Beverly Hillbillies fool you, although it is fun to see him and Lester on there. Rest in Peace Earl.

3. justom profile image68
    justomposted 6 years ago

I had the pleasure of seeing Lester and Earl twice and Earl with his sons in the Review. He put you in a trance while listening to that fine pickin'. RIP brother Earl!!

4. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

Earl Scrugs changed banjo music forever. His music was so much more eclectic than that backwoods hillbilly people who never listened assumed he was. I was fortunate to see him at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in Golden Gate Park, I think it was 3 years ago. He was old, playing sitting down, but he was still out there playing. So long Earl.

working