jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

The Greatest Most Talented Musician In America - who is it?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

The Greatest Most Talented Musician In America - who is it?

I make no bones here - "American 'Idle'" is the most pathetic joke imaginable....no talent to speak of  on that show, and that is exactly it's point.

I think Mark O'Connor is the finest musician in the history of the USA, Mexico, and Canada.

Bugger all that though, who do YOU think is the most talented musician in the History Of North America.

2. charliegrumples profile image42
    charliegrumplesposted 5 years ago

Right now .. Dylan Carlson (check my hub if you don't know who he is)

3. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

American Idol focuses on "singing," which, by itself does not qualify one as a "MUSICIAN....".......but, rather, vocally talented.  The show itself may be somewhat pathetic, but seriously Wesman, my sweet illicit online lover.......they turned out Kelly Clarkson (1st winner ever) and Jennifer Hudson (who went on  to win an Oscar and has an incredible career)....and there are  couple more, but those 2 ladies really stand out to me, at the moment.
    As for the "finest musician ever, anywhere".......I am not at all qualified to say who that would be.   My opinion would be based on my TASTE in music....which only makes me a FAN, not an expert.   YOU are a musician and have the "ear" and ability to make a valid choice.........although I never heard of MarK O'Connor.......but, there's a kid named Jimmy O'Connor in my neck of the woods who works at the Hot Dog stand.....Does he count?     Oh, and I'm really talented at playing the radio........

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

How about the off shore islands, that are considered part of the continents?
    Bob Marley/Jamaica.
    Ry Cooder/USA, Robert Johnson/ USA, Leadbelly/USA Carol King/USA.
    Jodie Mitchel/Canada
    It's too easy to discount the popular music scene and only go for classical when debating musicgreats, anywhere.  So someone can faultlessly play a note perfect piece of music, I'm sure he'll soon get over being an anorak .

5. Electro-Denizen profile image81
    Electro-Denizenposted 5 years ago

Multi-instrumentalist? Vocalist with incredible range? Incredible songwriter? Amazing stage performer?

But a musical style (and styles) not to everyone's liking - Prince of course!

6. epigramman profile image69
    epigrammanposted 5 years ago

I have known about Mark O'Connor for years and I am so glad you chose him as your favorite - would be mine too as I have several cds by him and admire his playing style and who he has played with - but my personal choice would be John Zorn who tends to lean towards the school of jazz, the avande-garde and film composing - please check him out and just You Tube him - lake erie time 12:21am please keep asking these questions - they're great!

7. Unleashed Freedom profile image60
    Unleashed Freedomposted 5 years ago

Duke Ellington comes to mind among many many others...