jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Who is the greatest musician ever to have lived?

1. dommcg profile image91
    dommcgposted 5 years ago

Who is the greatest musician ever to have lived?

Mozart? Elvis? So many to choose from. For pure natural talent i'm going for Jimi hendrix as he has always been my greatest influence. What do you think?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7373225_f260.jpg

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

It is impossible to get an impartial answer to thi questio.  For a start, we don't have access to the plaaying skills of all the musicians before sound recording was discovered.  Secondly, there are too many people when, refering to the skill of artists, often confuse, like with good, they vote for their likes rather than an objective vote for best.  Then we have to consider one instrument against another, is who you consider the best, say, violinist, better then your percieved, best trumpet, or guitar player.  To try and be objective, I will stick my neck out and say that I think the best musician in the era of sound recording, is the guitarist, Andres Segovia.

1. dommcg profile image91
      dommcgposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree, you have beethoven who composed entire symphonies yet was completely deaf so couldn't hear them or Django Reinhardt who played some incredible guitar with only 2 fingers. Both phenomenal musicans but very difficult to compare.

3. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 5 years ago

Ed Norton. He wrote "Swanee River".

Some will get the reference. Most will not.

4. e-five profile image95
    e-fiveposted 5 years ago

My vote would go to the master showman, and a man without peer in the history of song: The absolutely incomparable Mr. Lovelace Watkins.

Actually, it's probably somebody we've never heard of-- some kind of savant with music, who could play just about anything, pick up any tune and play it right back without flaw on any instrument.  I suspect Mozart was one of these.

5. GuitarGear profile image83
    GuitarGearposted 5 years ago

I think Mozart, Bach and the like were on a different level than contemporary musicians.  Stephen Hawking is to physics as Mozart, Beethoven and Bach were to music.  Hendrix was good maybe even great but my pick for greatest guitarists would be Tommy Emmanuel.  Check him out on youtube.  He's one of the few CGP's in existence.

6. Sri T profile image81
    Sri Tposted 5 years ago

I like Jean Luc Ponty. He is Hendrix on the violin, way out there for sure!

working