jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Does reality TV insult the intelligence of viewers?

1. pagesvoice profile image84
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

Does reality TV insult the intelligence of viewers?

With the Kardasians, the Bachelor, Jersey Shore and on and on with unknowns without talent becoming famous, has reality TV reached a point of insulting the intelligence of the viewer? Of course, the question itself is an oxymoron.

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Not really, if they are stupid enough to watch it....

3. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

big time but like MickS said ......... he basically hit the nail on the head.

4. harmony155 profile image70
    harmony155posted 5 years ago

I do agree that reality TV is dumbing people down but it seems to be popular- especially in the younger generations. Network stations are only giving the audience what they want. If the ratings are higher for nonsense reality shows over comedy or drama sitcoms, than that is what they will air.

I, myself, have gotten rid of cable because there hasn't been anything that I find worth watching. I resort to netflix or hulu when I want to sit in from of the television.

5. profile image0
    alloporusposted 5 years ago

MickS has it. There is always a choice and then, of course, you get a reality TV star running for office...  and, one day, maybe even for President. What happens when viewers become voters?

6. Game Flex profile image60
    Game Flexposted 5 years ago

Only if your reality is like reality TV...

7. miakouna profile image76
    miakounaposted 5 years ago

Reality TV is a soap opera with alot of viewers. It's entertaining to watch because it is scripted.  It's just another show that, hopefully, viewers realize it is not reality, but a show.

8. EFranz13 profile image39
    EFranz13posted 5 years ago

My Boyfriend says Yes.  LOL

I say No.

My Father once told me that Television is for "entertainment purposes" and that everyone is "entertained" by different things. (there is no accounting for taste)

Some people are entertained by Sitcoms, some by Cartoons, some by Silly Slaptick... and some of us are entertained by Reality TV.

To each his own.  smile