jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Was the 1970s the last decade of really good music?

1. Rhonda D Johnson profile image73
    Rhonda D Johnsonposted 5 years ago

Was the 1970s the last decade of really good music?

My cousin Miraculous describes the music scene in the '90s as "one long horrible open mic night."  Since I was deaf during that whole decade, I have to take his word for it.  After I got my hearing back, I purchased a song from that time period.  It sounded good enough so I bought another song and another.  They all sounded alike as if the artist used the same music and just changed the words.    I grew up in the 70's when folks actually composed music and the instruments and vocalists responded to each other.  What happened?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

Every decade has its good stuff and its bad stuff.

I grew up in the '80s so of course I think that was the last decade of "really good music," but I'll admit that a lot of crap was released in the '80s as well.

Unfortunately it's usually the crap that gets remembered, while the good stuff falls by the wayside!

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

No, after the 60s, the 70s was a musical wasteland and only started to recover late in the decade when groups playing punk really came to the fore to inject some  life into it.  The music scene then descended into a wasteland once again until groups like Blur, The Verve, and Oasis came on the scene.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

The 70s was not the best decade, but it was better than the decades that have followed it. I remember the day my then favorite radio station went disco. I immediately changed to another and never went back.

As I have said in other places on HP, there is probably some good music out there, but there is no venue for exposing it to the general population. I cannot afford satellite radio. There are no variety shows and regular radio is hopeless.

1. Rhonda D Johnson profile image73
      Rhonda D Johnsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's it, Larry. There are no venues for quality music. As magic is the art of the mage, so music is the art of the museā€”the thinker.People today don't want to think. They want to be a-mused = not think because so many bad things are happening.

working