jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What is Dubstep Music?

1. sweetzara profile image80
    sweetzaraposted 5 years ago

What is Dubstep Music?

And how is it different from other electronic music?

2. ashish04joshi profile image73
    ashish04joshiposted 5 years ago

It's basically Dance music, centered around bass and drums...usually the dark numbers you find by R&B, Rihanna, SnoopDog, etc.
    Sounds awful to me though...as if...I better don't tell.

3. profile image0
    iamaudraleighposted 5 years ago

It was a form of dance music that came from England; electronic dance music.

4. Jennifer Stone profile image86
    Jennifer Stoneposted 5 years ago

What, apart from a God-awful racket? :-) Actually dubstep is electronic dance music that's defined by the rhythm. It has evolved from" drum and bass" which in turn evolved from "Jungle", and started out in the underground music/party scene which is pretty big in England. It is very dark sounding with a very heavy bass line that is typical of it's genre and separates it from house music, or techno which has a steady even repetitive beat all the way through. 

In recent years, dubstep has found it's way into mainstream music, but is a softened down version that is probably more acceptable to people who enjoy chart music. Generally it's enjoyed by the younger generation!

The only time I personally have enjoyed dubstep is at Glastonbury Festival, with a band called Sam and the Womp! They create their music using real instruments eg a trumpet, saxaphone and keyboard, and the dubstep "womp" is created by a tuba! It doesn't do them justice but here is a link to a song they've put on youtube.They are very light hearted and the vid is good fun. (My son would direct you to much more serious dubstep artists but he's not the one answering this question!). If you ever find yourself at a large(ish) festival in England, also check out "The Correspondents" and you will find yourself in the position of dancing uncontrollably to "grown up" dubstep! :-)

5. profile image0
    detroitmareposted 5 years ago

I have no idea, but I might actually be able to dance to it if I could copy someone else's steps (dubstep).  I'm just a poor white boy who can't dance!

6. flashmakeit profile image68
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

Dubstep music is a genre of electronic music that usually start with a slow drum beat which speeds up and then drops or stops followed by a wobble bass. You can hear a wobble bass in Kid Cudi Vs Crookers - 'Day 'N' Nite' (Official Video).  One of todays most respected dubstep artist is Skrillex.

7. ATY Yonne profile image60
    ATY Yonneposted 5 years ago

If you wanna know what dubstep is, I think you ought to check out this song...

UKF Dubstep Tuturial

It's a dubstep song ABOUT dudbtep!
    I hope this helps. smile

1. Anishpat profile image79
      Anishpatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The links are awesome!

8. Cristale profile image84
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

Dubstep has a rougher and harder beat, with more bass. Techno is usually just a remix of a regular song or more electronic sounding.