jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you prefer watching movies in IMAX, 3-D, or standard formats?

1. nanderson500 profile image84
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

Do you prefer watching movies in IMAX, 3-D, or standard formats?

Personally, I am very tired of 3-D.

2. Omnivium profile image79
    Omniviumposted 5 years ago

I prefer standard. 3D is just a trick that gets old fast, and IMAX is supposed to have better resolution, but I couldn't tell the difference. IMAX costs more than regular, so I would just buy the regular ticket.

3. Richard Perazzo profile image78
    Richard Perazzoposted 5 years ago

IMAX by far. The Lincoln Square IMAX theater in NYC is the largest movie screen in the United States, at 76x97 feet, or about 4-5 times the size of a regular movie screen. It is such an experience watching a movie on that screen, with the amazing sound and clarity. First time I was there it was to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and the picture and sound were beautiful. I'd easily pick IMAX over anything else.

4. belleart profile image88
    belleartposted 5 years ago

Standard formats all the way!!
    I hate the fact that nearly all films coming out now are in 3D, they aren't made especially for it so it's just a money maker!  When films like Coraline and My Bloody Valentine came out, I couldn't wait to see them because they were made as 3D films and the 3D brings out the the best of these films. 
    But all the other films-no reason for having them in 3D other than money.  It's a disgrace and to be perfectly honest its a complete let down seeing a normal film in 3D.

5. alyssabarron profile image77
    alyssabarronposted 5 years ago

I generally prefer the standard format, but some movies are actually pretty cool in 3-D.  For instance, I liked Avatar and John Carter in 3-D.  But I could do without finding Nemo and other such movies being put into that format.

6. Tonyx35 profile image60
    Tonyx35posted 5 years ago

I prefer Standard/Digital format most of the time. I would be more willing to see IMAX (not IMAX 3D) presentations, with the bigger screens and big sound systems. 

For one thing, Those 3D glasses must be really inconvenient for folks who already wear glasses. I have yet to even bother with 3D Blu-ray and I don't pay attention to 3D features on HDTVs.

7. Johnny2Balls profile image60
    Johnny2Ballsposted 5 years ago

If it has actual IMAX footage in it (Chris Nolan, I'm looking at you), then IMAX any day of the week.

I think the problem with 3D is the lack of good 3D in movies. Sure, there's Avatar and Titanic, and a couple of other movies also look pretty good, but for the most part it's just silly 'stuff flying out of the screen' Resident Evil material that doesn't matter if it's seen in either the second or third dimension.

Having said that, if I'm going to watch a movie in 3D, I'd prefer to see it in on an IMAX screen. The added size helps sell the 3D effect. If you sit in the right place, your peripheral vision is obscured by the screen, so it really feels like you're looking at something with depth.