jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

When movies come out based on a book, do you read the book first or see the movi

1. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

When movies come out based on a book, do you read the book first or see the movie first?

2. rfmoran profile image87
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

I often read the book first. I'm glad I read Life of Pi (one of my favorite all time books) and now I look forward to the movie. Sometimes the movie is better than the book (The Godfather) and sometimes it's much worse (Bonfire of the Vanities).

1. joanwz profile image74
      joanwzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I never read the book Life of Pi. Thanks for the reccommendation. I'll have to add it to my list.

3. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

If I haven't read the book before the movie comes out I don't read the book.  For the most part, I tend to think any movie (based on a book) is never as good as the book, and when I've read the book I tend to find the movie disappointing (although, maybe, pleasant enough in its own way).  So, unless it's too late to do this (because I've already read the book), I tend to like to keep my books and movies completely separate.   smile

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I like to do the movie first.  That way when I finally read the book, it seems I am getting more of the story, more details and texture so-to-speak.

5. MarcusJ profile image70
    MarcusJposted 5 years ago

Sometimes the book is first but really it's based on timing and what the topic is. If it is something I'm interested in reading about, chances are I've already read it anyway. Generally speaking, I prefer books over movies and movies over television. In nearly every case the book is much better in my opinion. Movies remove the imagination aspect of the story for me and I'm forced to witness the directors vision instead of my minds eye.

6. Any Other Voice profile image61
    Any Other Voiceposted 5 years ago

It depends on which book it is! I always try to read the book before the movie so I'm not completely lost when I watch it, like the character names and backstories and such, but sometimes it only makes you feel like the movie was really really bad. hmm

7. K-112 profile image59
    K-112posted 5 years ago

I read the books first. I more of a book person, and the books are usually better than the movies anyways.

8. BlissfulWriter profile image72
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

If there is a movie, I would just watch the movie and forget about the book -- saves time.

working