Who is your hero?

1. daydreamer13 profile image60
    daydreamer13posted 5 years ago

Who is your hero?

This can be a fictional superhero or an important influence in your life, whoever motivates you.

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

I would have to really think about this for there are so many people who I'd classify as a 'hero.'  One who immediately sprang to mind was a Olphalmic surgeon known as Doctor Fred Hollows.   Fred was born in New Zealand and came to live in Australia at a fairly early age.   He had the reputation of being a bit of a larrikin.  He had a tremendous sense of humour and a heart of gold.

Why a heart of gold?   Because he went to the outback of Australia and restored the sight of countless hundreds of people, mostly Aboriginals.   This he did for free, or from what little moneys he got from his supporters.

He set up a charity, The Fred Hollows Foundation (or his wife did)   He then moved into Africa where he and a few fellow surgeons restored the eye sight of thousands of Africans.   He brought joy and happiness as well as renewed sight to countless thousands.   Fred died of cancer a few years back but the organization he founded still goes on.

Who is my hero?  Well, one of them was certainly Dr. Fred Hollows.

1. daydreamer13 profile image60
      daydreamer13posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That certainly sounds like a true hero. Thank you for sharing. I'd never heard of this man and now I am glad to know of such an extrordinary person.