jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is this picture for real?

1. tsadjatko profile image67
    tsadjatkoposted 5 years ago

Is this picture for real?

Hey you skeet shooters out there - what is wrong with this picture? Can President Obama really shoot a rifle without a teleprompter telling him what to do? “The president obviously put out that photo because he wants gun owners out there to think that he’s just one of them, he’s a regular guy who shoots skeet on the weekends and end joys blasting a shotgun,”

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I can't say whether this photo is for real or not - but I will say as one who has enjoyed shooting skeet on occasion, laying your face on the butt of the shotgun while firing it can really be dangerous and you may end up with a broken cheekbone.  This looks to me like someone who does NOT know how to properly hold a shotgun.

1. profile image69
      Writer Chuckposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hope when I shot skeet or trap I didn't look anything like that.  We must have someone at camp David that at least directs a new shooter on proceedure.

I think the Female senator from Tennessee could certainly win a competition with Obama!

3. Brandi Cooper profile image60
    Brandi Cooperposted 5 years ago

You CAN hold a gun in the way shown without hurting yourself. He isn't holding it incorrectly by any means. You can also shoot targets in this position as well - there are a myriad of different ways you can fire at targets, many of which require shooting with a level barrel, a lowered barrel, a lifted barrel, etc. I've witnessed people holding guns like this while skeet shooting, I've been shooting myself, and there's nothing inaccurate, improbable, or implausible about this photo. Whether or not the kickback of firing a gun can hurt you only depends on whether or not you're comfortable with the gun you're firing.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with this photo unless you don't like Obama and then the only thing wrong with it is that Obama is in the picture.

1. tsadjatko profile image67
      tsadjatkoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do you know why it appears there is a plume of smoke coming from the side (or top?) of the gun barrel besides what is coming out the end?

4. A Little TRUTH profile image86
    A Little TRUTHposted 5 years ago

Hey, at least it’s better than the previous attempt:

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2013/ … -shooting/

And here’s Obama walking away after the photo shoot:

http://sadhillnews.com/wp-content/uploa … -news1.jpg

And, for reference, here’s a guy shooting skeet.  Note the forward stance, arm position, gun stock position, line of eyesight:

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/-images/2 … 171019.jpg

To Obama’s credit, the cheek on the stock is normal for aiming.  Regarding the extra plume of smoke, some shotgun barrels are ported, sometimes at the factory, but usually by the owner as a modification.  The purpose is to reduce muzzle rise, and/or reduce recoil, but it increases the noise level.  If it is done to reduce muzzle rise (in order to be ready more quickly for the next shot) the port(s) need to be on top.  In any case, the ports need to be symmetrical.  If there’s a port on one side, there needs to be one on the other side or there would be a lateral kick.  Maybe Obama’s port is on top and angled back slightly.