jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Who, in your mind, are the three most famous love stories in History or Literatu

1. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 5 years ago

Who, in your mind, are the three most famous love stories in History or Literature?

Name at least three of the most famous love stories of all time, in your mind, and why.  Thanks for answering.

2. aetrent profile image60
    aetrentposted 5 years ago

Jane Eyre: distant man, world-wounded man is transformed by pure and simple love
    Gone with the Wind: a man knows a woman completely and still loves and wants her
    An Affair to Remember: Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr: crisp,chemistry, sentimental....
                                        except for the godawful section with the children's chorus,
                                        directed by Deborah Kerr from her bed.

Faith Reaperposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow aetrent!  Great choices here, I must say without a doubt!  lol on the chorus!  Thanks for the great answer!

2. ajwrites57 profile image87
      ajwrites57posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, enjoyed all of these myself-thanks for the reminiscence!

3. Faith Reaper profile image88

You're welcome, and thank you for such a great answer.

3. ajwrites57 profile image87
    ajwrites57posted 5 years ago

The first couple that came to mind was Romeo and Juliet. Next was Antony and Cleopatra because Antony sacrificed so much for her. Napoleon and Josephine because of how their love developed. Also, I thought of Odysseus and Penelope because of Penelope's fidelity.  Helen of Troy and Paris, because her love resulted in the Trojan War. What about Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara--theirs may have been the fieriest ? The truest romance is probably Romeo and Juliet's because theirs is the most tragic and the others I mentioned had other lovers.

Hi ajwrites57, excellent answers here, yes, Romeo and Juliet's love affair was the most tragic no doubt!  Thanks for answering!

4. cdpayne profile image59
    cdpayneposted 5 years ago

Since Josephine was responsible for the interment of their remains together in the Pere Lachaise in Paris, Abelard and Heloise deserve a mention.  While our sensibilities may recoil at the details of the relationship, there's no doubt that Poe loved Virginia Eliza Clemm deeply, perhaps to the point of madness. Given that her early death probably inspired "The Raven" and "Annabel Lee", I'd say theirs is a pretty famous love story. Personally I'd remove Romeo and Juliet from the list and replace them with Orpheus and Eurydice. The guy tamed Hell for her! That's love, even if he couldn't keep his eyes front.

Wow, cdpayne, what interesting choices and the reasons, as you have explained here, why you chose these is obvious no doubt.  Thanks for the really great answer.

working