jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

How do you find popular music for a child that is appropriate?

1. peeples profile image96
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

How do you find popular music for a child that is appropriate?

While trying to download popular songs to my son's MP3 player I realized it's hard to find appropriate songs for a 9 year old. So how do I find music without all the inappropriate stuff that is still in style?

2. Electro-Denizen profile image83
    Electro-Denizenposted 4 years ago

Adele?

That's the only one that comes to mind, but I'm a little out of touch

www.commonsensemedia.org/lists/music  has some suggestions

3. Tashaonthetown profile image89
    Tashaonthetownposted 4 years ago

Looking for Disney music usually comes up with appropriate and popular music that the kids enjoy and know.

4. fpherj48 profile image74
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

peeples...You certainly are an alert, hands-on Mom!  Nine, is fairly young and I can understand your concerns with some of the Pop music these days.  Fortunately, with the internet, you have the ability to do some research.  A little info about the artist and reading the lyrics, would be a good start, I guess. 
    Young kids (pre-teens) may like particular music, w/o even being aware of what the song is about....or not even understanding the words or meanings.   
    Thinking back (WAY back,lol) to my own kids......they suffered through listening to MY music, at home..LOL.  Being a Boomer, of course that era was my music.  No parent can possibly know what their kids may listen to, when with their friends, unless someone has found a magical way to be all places at all times.....
    I think it's wonderful that you want to take the time and effort to at least "influence" your kids choices.   Then, cross your fingers, peeples!!  Bless your maternal heart!......

5. Souther29 profile image80
    Souther29posted 4 years ago

Often for popular artists there will be 'Radio edit' versions available for download. This means any inappropriate words are edited out as these are used for mainstream radio stations.

Legally, any songs with questionable lyrics will have the phrase 'Parental Advisory Lyrics' on the CD itself or next to the digital purchase  - per album, and per individual song.

With this in mind, you should be able to find some acceptable artists. Depending if the child is a boy or a girl I imagine you wouldn't go wrong with Hannah Montana, Camp Rock, Miley Cyrus, Vanessa Hudgens... this kind of thing. Glee songs are also a good bet perhaps.

6. caseymel profile image93
    caseymelposted 4 years ago

We listen to Kids Place Live and Radio Disney on XM Radio.  We find songs we like and we download them on YouTube and iTunes.

7. Learn2WriteSongs profile image73
    Learn2WriteSongsposted 4 years ago

More and more it is getting difficult to find music that is appropriate for young children.  The use of "bad" words is more popular than ever.  The best thing you can do is find "radio friendly" versions of the song.  These version have to edit out inappropriate words.  The next thing is listen to the content of the song to make sure the message is appropriate for a your child.  This may be difficult only because 9 years old is not the target market for most pop songs.

8. dianetrotter profile image72
    dianetrotterposted 4 years ago

I teach high school but have a family repertoire.  As far as I know all Disney is good.  Carrie Underwood is usually safe.  Forget BeyoncĂ©.  Pick artist you like and then read the words online.  Rots o' Ruck!

9. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 4 years ago

Country and western,  disney channel, classical music is usually ok, you gota check each song one by one i guess, nowadays even kids sing inappropriate songs. kinda weird but true, it seems cussing is the new in thing.

If you want you can checkout this website
    http://www (dot)commonsensemedia(dot)org/lists/music
    they have a recommended age on each song.

10. profile image71
    gsurvivorposted 4 years ago

It's best to simply let the kids decide, even if a tune has unsuitable lyrical themes, kids often simply don't understand it and just enjoy the music and the beat. I started listening metal music when I was 9, my favorites were Metallica's "Creeping Death" and "Whiplash." The titles seem highly inapropriate but the songs didn't really affect me in any negative way, even the contrary...

working