What are your views on teachers dating students?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Iontach profile image69
    Iontachposted 13 years ago

What are your views on teachers dating students?

I have to say I knew of a couple on incidents back in school...

2. jenesmith01 profile image59
    jenesmith01posted 13 years ago

definatly not appropriate. for one thing in a highschool situation the student is usually under 18 and it is against the law. How are we supposed to look up to teachers as rolemodels if they do stuff like that.

3. dianne143 profile image41
    dianne143posted 13 years ago

it is not the right thing to do it is really against the law Teachers Code of Ethics.if you are dating your teacher /student of the same school.. It's ok if both of you came from different school.

If ever there is a situation where they are both in-love at the same school one must sacrifice for their own good like one should transfer.

Teachers do fall in-love also.

I have a 2 teachers before in college.

the other one marry's his student in college but for them to push through their relationship the student transfered to another university.

the other one has a relationship with his student. but the student was already graduate to that school..

so i think it is not wrong if you are following the rules

4. johnnyco12 profile image59
    johnnyco12posted 13 years ago

Wow, I just spoke on this subject, not just teacher's but leaders in general. When you become a leader you have a responsibility to set and maintain a boundary between you and those that you lead. I am a minister, and it didn't take very long for me to discover  that there is a group of the opposite sex (which I call "preacher groupies") that are very attracted to minister's in an unhealthy, unholy type of way. These are usually young, naive, and innocent girls who are attracted to the caring and nurturing persona of the man of God. Any preacher or teacher worth their salt knows that these are very vulnerable individuals who need instruction and not intimacy.
    Teachers have a responsibility to themselves and those they teach to maintain their status as a leader at all times. A teacher should never ask or share intimate details about their lives. They should never allow themselves to be alone with a student of the opposite sex. Teacher's should never exchange phone numbers with his or her students.

5. Bronson_Hub profile image59
    Bronson_Hubposted 13 years ago

I don't think it's professional or ethical.  In college I did not like it when I could tell when a male teaching assistant would use their position to try and court young women in the class, and those women would equally use the teaching assistant in the hopes of getting a free 'A'.  This rarely happened the other way around.  I never saw much of that going the opposite direction.

With regards to underage relationships, like in k-12, in one sense it's a sort of fantasy, but the reality of it is not appropriate and can be very damaging to the lives of those involved.  We need our academic systems to ensure fairness and set a good example on how to behave intelligently. Whether it's k-12 or college and beyond, our education needs to be a place where we keep our standards and ethics very high.

6. afriqnet profile image65
    afriqnetposted 13 years ago

Awful When I finished School I got A job as an Untrained teacher and I could see this happening and I was so furious about it since it kills the professionalism that should be maintained at all levels.
    I was even surprised to see a funny case two days ago on TV of a teacher caught red handed in Kisumu Kenya with a fifteen year old girl.
    I seriously condemn this issue of teachers dating students. In Kenya it is a common scene but the ministry of eduction is doing something.

7. ROMANCER OF LIFE profile image60
    ROMANCER OF LIFEposted 13 years ago

Hmmm... let's see... well it depends. I would appreciate that the teacher have respect for her or himself enough not to date a student. But honestly.... my mind is a little corrupted and I often fantasize about having a *secret* relationship with a hot guy teacher. But then again it should just be a fantasy and nothing in reality. Why....? Well, because teachers are looked at as role models and umm... what kind of example are you going to set for the younger generation. One that says... I'm a professional, who have relationships with her students! I'd rather my students look at me with respect and honor. I know boys... have a tendency to fantasize about their teachers. I heard of a student/teacher relationship when I was in Highschool. A lot of the girls in our school hated that teacher... but it was non of my business and I seriously didn't care. But it did affect the way I viewed this person. It was hard for me to respect her as a teacher.Then I had to remind myself that I shouldn't listen to rumors any how cause it could be just that... "Rumors."

8. akwardperson123 profile image60
    akwardperson123posted 13 years ago

I do not think age should matter with love, If you truely love someone who cares what the sterotypical ideas are on a topic?

9. F.B. Spannigan profile image61
    F.B. Spanniganposted 13 years ago

One word. DISGUSTING.

10. Silver Poet profile image69
    Silver Poetposted 13 years ago

To maintain order and discipline, a teacher must never fraternize with students in any manner whatsoever.

11. wormdo profile image60
    wormdoposted 13 years ago

Not at all appropriate. An adult shouldn't be dating a minor anyway, but it's particularly wrong when the adult has a position of power and authority over that minor.

12. Keith Worth profile image60
    Keith Worthposted 13 years ago

I'd say any relationship where one partner has some sort of authority or power over the other person is pretty messed up. Not only would be it be hard to have a healthy relationship when one person clearly holds all the card: but it could easily lead to wondering what the basis for the relationship really is.

13. philirodje profile image61
    philirodjeposted 13 years ago

It is not good for teachers to date students, Teachers are suppose to teach the students good manners, self respect and discipline  and not exposing them to sexual activity that could disrupt the education of the student... it is wrong, it is unholy, it is unlawful. Rubish

14. Bible Studies profile image64
    Bible Studiesposted 13 years ago

High school, NO. It would be highly inappropriate. Not to mention most students are underage.

College, possibly on certain conditions. One, the student is not fresh out of high school, but is an older adult that has returned to further their education and career. There are people going back in their thirties and forties for various reasons from getting the education they never had to obtaining their masters to updating their skills.

The other condition would be that the student would not be taking any of the teacher's classes in the future, or have already completed their classes. Preferably waiting until after the student graduates. Then again there is nothing to stop favoritism if a teacher likes a student. If you have seen it, think of the film Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield.

I know in the college I went to the head of the department was dating a young student, and eventually lost his job. It got bad when you walked in his office, and the student was sitting on his lap. I don't know, it may have been more because of inappropriate behavior than just dating a young student. Maybe he did it one too many times. Even college teachers can get into trouble on that aspect.

15. profile image54
    sea55starposted 13 years ago

Depends on the age ... of the student and the teacher. Under 18 - completely off limits. 18 to 21, I would say the school should make it against the rules and subject to teacher firing. Over 21, I believe people have the right to do anything legal they wish. But I would hope the school would frown upon a teacher dating a student for the same reason a boss shouldn't date a subordinate. The balance of power is off and either person could be hurt emotionally or professionally or both.

16. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image60
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years ago

it depends on really how old the student is, and whether it's their student,

if it's a teacher going out with some one elses student that's above 18, then yeah, go for it

but if your own student, probably not, as, when coming to marking work, you'd be biased to help them.

but definitely anyone as old as a teacher should not go out with a student under 18, that's just massively wrong

17. profile image57
    yaturi3posted 13 years ago

Teachers should never date their students. They have a sacred duty to impart knowledge, not to take advantage of students' vulnerabilities.

18. txgal profile image59
    txgalposted 13 years ago

Oh my goodness. That is a big no-no for me as a teacher. I don't want to risk losing my job and possibly my teaching certificate over that. Sad that I am hearing more on the news where I live that this is becoming more evident.

19. Laura Philips profile image58
    Laura Philipsposted 13 years ago

It can often happen that students can become infatuated with teachers as they are the center of attention in the classroom and the source of authority but it is the teachers duty not to entertain or encourage any advances from their pupils, especially in the case of young students.

20. AdamShermer profile image60
    AdamShermerposted 13 years ago

It may seem awkward and inappropriate. The teachers duty is to educate. It might be misleading to parents and give a bad impression on the school if this happens.

Love is blind but we still need to have principles and follow them.

21. Variety Writer profile image59
    Variety Writerposted 13 years ago

It is morally and socially wrong. The teacher is an authority figure and dating a student is taking advantage of that position and of the student. It also violates the trust that a parent has for the teacher.

22. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

My father was a just man and he taught me not to carp on my own doorstep. I think that these kinds of teachers should visit a prostitute and get it over with if they have a problem and not make their lust interfere with a student's future.

23. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

It's a conflict of interst big time! No teacher should allow themselves to have feelings or see a student! It breaks a moral code of ethics!

I think it's wrong! How can a teacher possibly teach a child and be fair across the board to all students if they have a love interest in one? They simply can't. They would show favortism in one way or another. It's impossible not to.

It's sad that some teachers cross the line and do this...especially when the student is underage...that becomes only morally wrong..but also legally wrong!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)