What does it mean when it hurts to sing?(Read the additional details it will mak

1. BellaSchu profile image61
    BellaSchuposted 4 years ago

What does it mean when it hurts to sing?(Read the additional details it will make better sense!!)

I know this is a weird question, but every time I sing which is all the time since I'm in chorus and I have YouTube channel my throat starts to be in pain. Its nothing like a soar throat like I have strep it almost feels like someone is pulling at my vocal cords. It only happens if I begin to sing loudly or powerfully.I have been drinking lots of tea and trying to rest my voice but it doesn't seem to be working.This has been going on for a really long time ever since I began 6th grade chorus and I'm in 7th now so does any one have an idea why this is happening or whats wrong.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

It may be you aren't using your vocal chords properly. A voice coach can explain it better, but ... you can strain your vocal chords if you don't use the proper technique. It's like the difference between talking in a normal tone of voice and screaming at a football game. If you talk to your choral director, he/she will probably be able to give you some tips on how to sing without the additional strain. Hope this helped.

working